Spinning Doll Experiment: Exploring Physics with a Suspended Toy

• Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spinning
In summary, a 1.5 year old granddaughter was amused by tying a doll to a ceiling fan, causing it to spin in a circle and eventually lower to the center of the rotational axis. This was due to the doll seeking the state of lowest total energy, taking into account the constraints of the fan's movement and the weight of the doll. The fan's suspension and the potential gradient force also played a role in balancing the system. However, the axis of rotation is not a stable point, so the doll could not stay at the exact center.
GENIERE
To amuse my 1.5 yr old granddaughter I tied a 5-foot string to her doll and suspended it from the end of one blade in a ceiling fan. As you would expect, the doll spun in a circle maybe a foot or so lower than the blade.

After about 10 minutes, the doll slowly lowered to a point dead center in the rotational axis. The string was pulled inward! That means the doll was lifted a few inches. How is that explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty cool! I'll have to try that one myself. My daughter's 10 and she'll appreciate that! I wonder if it requires a certain weight of doll?

It sounds like the doll is going to a node where it's stable. You can see that same affect by holding a long rope and if you spin it just right, instead of making it fly around in a circle, you can get the center of the rope to stand still, and you'll get two hoops going, like a sine wave moving through 360 degrees (imagine graphing a sine wave from 0 to 360 degrees on an X-Y graph with the X being degrees then the line goes from 0 to 1 at 90, back to 0 at 180, down to -1 at 270 and back to 0 at 360 ). I suspect it has something to do with fan also, I wonder if it will happen with any weight of doll. The fan has a beam which attaches it to the ceiling, which is also flexing. I suspect if it didn't flex, it wouldn't do what you saw. Notice also, the centering of the doll balances the entire fan/doll system. Without the doll in that position, the fan is unbalanced. But to explain in words, why the system would tend to move towards that balanced condition is a bit beyond me. Must have something to do with String Theory! lol

The doll is going to seek the state of lowest total energy compatible with the constraints it is under.

Lifting the doll up requires some energy, but apparently it requires less energy with your particular geometry than it would to make it move in a circle along with the fan.

The fan is suspended by a ball and socket, so it can move freely in all directions. The fan actually tilted to the doll side as it rotated. The doll was about 8 inches long with a plastic head and a stuffed body, maybe half a pound in weight.

I had some time and I wrote down the Lagrangian for this, assuming that the fan blade continues to move in a circle. (This may be a false assumption).

The result is that the doll cannot lie on the center axis with the above assumption.

If we view the doll from a co-rotating frame from a viewpoint above the fan blade, we have the following diagram

Code:
                |y  
                |
   fan blade    | 
--------------->|------->x
       R

The equations of motion in terms of the generalized coordintes x and y are then

[tex]
x'' = w y' + w^2(R+x) - \frac{gx}{\sqrt{D^2-x^2-y^2}}
[/tex]
[tex]
y'' = -wx' - \frac{gy}{\sqrt{D^2-x^2-y^2}}
[/tex]

here g is the acceleration of gravity, and D is the constant length of the string.

The height of the doll is [tex] D - \sqrt{D^2-x^2-y^2}[/tex]

One can see this without writing down the Lagrangian, the generalized forces on the doll in the rotating frame are due to centrifugal force, coriolis force, and the potential due to the height of the doll.

Unfortunately this means that the axis of rotation is not a stable point.
If x', x'', y', and y'' are all zero one has the relation

y=0
w^2(R+x) = gx/sqrt(D^2-x^2)

In short there is no way for the doll to be at x=-R though it is possible for the doll to be at a x < -R, which puts it on the other side of the axis of rotation. Here the centrifugal force pushes the doll in the -x direction, and it's balanced by a potential gradient force in the +x direction

pervect said:
...x < -R, which puts it on the other side of the axis of rotation. Here the centrifugal force pushes the doll in the -x direction, and it's balanced by a potential gradient force in the +x direction

Very nice - I did say dead center, but it probably was not.

1. What is the purpose of the Spinning Doll Experiment?

The purpose of the Spinning Doll Experiment is to demonstrate the principles of physics, specifically the concept of torque and rotational motion, using a simple and relatable object such as a spinning toy. It allows for a hands-on and visual exploration of these concepts, making them easier to understand and remember.

2. What materials are needed for the Spinning Doll Experiment?

To conduct the Spinning Doll Experiment, you will need a suspended toy (such as a spinning top or yo-yo), a string or thread, a ruler or measuring tape, and a stopwatch or timer. You may also need a weight or small object to attach to the toy in order to adjust the center of mass.

3. How do you set up the Spinning Doll Experiment?

To set up the experiment, first attach the string or thread to the toy and then suspend it from a fixed point (such as a doorway or hook). Make sure the toy is able to rotate freely. Next, measure the length of the string and record it. You may also attach a weight to the toy to adjust its center of mass. Finally, start the timer and observe the motion of the toy as it spins.

4. What are the key observations to make during the Spinning Doll Experiment?

During the experiment, you should observe the time it takes for the toy to complete one full rotation (period), the direction of rotation, and any changes in the motion when the center of mass is altered. You may also want to measure the angular velocity and acceleration of the toy, as well as the tension in the string. These observations will help to understand the relationship between torque, rotational motion, and the center of mass.

5. How does the Spinning Doll Experiment relate to real-world applications?

The Spinning Doll Experiment is a simplified version of real-world applications of torque and rotational motion, such as the movement of gears, wheels, and other rotating objects. Understanding these concepts is crucial in fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports science, where rotational motion is a key factor. This experiment also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are useful in many scientific and technical fields.