Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinning egg

Tags:
  1. Jan 18, 2015 #1
    Why does a spinning egg stand up ,what are the energy changes and why do they occur

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think?

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's clear it takes less energy to just ask us than to think about it himself.

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4
    Hi I'm not trying to save energy I'm just looking for an answer usually objects tend to become more stable by losing potential energy but in this case the egg gains potential energy.

6. Jan 18, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is not the purpose of this forum to just give answers in cases where some thought might bring out the answer yourself. I ask again, what do you think? And why? In what way does it gain potential energy? If it does, does that energy persist? Does the egg stay upright after it stops rotating.

7. Jan 18, 2015 #6
    I'm surprised that you think that "some thought " would provide an answer to my question .Nobody on the internet seems to be able to give a simple explanation ,.there's plenty of baffling ones though.If the egg is spun fast enough it stands up ie. it's centre of gravity rises ,as it slows down the egg falls down again.

8. Jan 18, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Of course you're just looking for an answer. And phinds is trying to guide you to it, and you're insisting that instead it be delivered to you on a plate.

9. Jan 18, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Eddie, let's try again - What. Do. You. Think?

10. Jan 18, 2015 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would also ask you, if you see a top laying on its side and then you spin it and get it to stay up, are you surprised?

11. Jan 18, 2015 #10
    Yes, but I still don't have an answer to my egg question.

12. Jan 18, 2015 #11
    I've no idea what you are asking me .I would like to know why the egg stands up.

13. Jan 18, 2015 #12
    A clue to help you. The egg has to be boiled and once it is the yolk is fixed to the larger section of the egg and there an air pocket in the smaller end so it's center of gravity isn't where it appears.
    If you were capable spinning a top fast enough that's laying on its side it will stand up pointed end up just like the egg.

14. Jan 21, 2015 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook