Testing Relativity: Spinning in Space - Feasible?

In summary, the idea of spinning an object in space to test relativity is not feasible and has not been done before.
jreelawg
I was thinking about ways to test relativity, and time dilation.

The idea popped in my head of designing something, housing a clock, with the intention of getting it to spin in the vacuum of space, as fast as possible, and observe the difference in time.

Is this feasible? Has this been done before?

Aside from the relativity aspect, I just thought it would be cool to see how fast we could spin something.

I imagine a skinny cylinder, with receiving antennas at each end, powered by microwaves beamed into it from separate power sources. I'm not sure what type of propulsion would be used.

Has this been done before? What is the artificial RPM world record?

Also, what is the fastest know natural spinning object in space?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi jreelawg! :smile:
jreelawg said:

The idea popped in my head of designing something, housing a clock, with the intention of getting it to spin in the vacuum of space, as fast as possible, and observe the difference in time.

how would this test relativity? :confused:

the only relevant parameter is the speed, and even if you could spin it 1,000 times a second with a diameter of a metre, that still wouldn't be any faster than a rocket

plus … won't very accurate clocks get dyspepsia if you treat them like that? :redface:

tiny-tim said:
hi jreelawg! :smile:

how would this test relativity? :confused:

the only relevant parameter is the speed, and even if you could spin it 1,000 times a second with a diameter of a metre, that still wouldn't be any faster than a rocket

plus … won't very accurate clocks get dyspepsia if you treat them like that? :redface:

I had the idea that in space, you could get an object to spin much faster than a rocket. Two things are in your favor for in this case. First, you can use a nearby power source, and observe the object. This means, that you could keep it accelerating until it becomes impossible, at which point I would guess is a very extreme velocity.

Can you tell me why you think we could not spin an object in space fast enough to test relativity?

jreelawg said:
an you tell me why you think we could not spin an object in space fast enough to test relativity?

i think it would fall apart :redface:

tiny-tim said:
i think it would fall apart :redface:

Exactly. Spinning an object too fast, in space or on earth, can and will cause catastrophic centrifugal instability and a potentially lethal environment from high velocity fragments of the breakdown.

jreelawg said:

Is this feasible? Has this been done before?

Sort of:

http://einstein.stanford.edu/

Nice read Andy. Also nice web site. Had not been there before.

1. Can relativity be tested by spinning in space?

Yes, it is possible to test relativity by spinning in space. This concept is known as the "frame-dragging effect" and it was first predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does spinning in space help test relativity?

Spinning in space creates a non-inertial frame of reference, meaning that it is accelerating or rotating. According to general relativity, this should cause a distortion in space-time known as frame-dragging, which can be measured and compared to the predictions of the theory.

3. What equipment is needed for testing relativity through spinning in space?

To test relativity through spinning in space, specialized equipment such as gyroscopes and precise clocks are needed. Gyroscopes are used to measure the frame-dragging effect, while precise clocks are used to measure any changes in the passage of time due to the acceleration.

4. Has relativity been tested through spinning in space before?

Yes, the frame-dragging effect has been tested through spinning in space before. The Gravity Probe B mission, launched in 2004, used four gyroscopes to measure the effect and confirmed the predictions of general relativity with unprecedented precision.

5. What are the implications of successfully testing relativity through spinning in space?

If relativity is successfully tested through spinning in space, it would further validate Einstein's theory and provide a deeper understanding of gravity and its effects on space and time. It could also pave the way for future space missions and technologies that rely on our understanding of relativity.