1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinning Mass

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of 3.50 kg is suspended from a 1.59 m long string. It revolves in a horizontal circle as shown in the figure.
    The tangential speed of the mass is 2.99 m/s. Calculate the angle between the string and the vertical.

2. Relevant equations
    a_c = v^2/r
    F = m*a_c
    tanθ=sinθ/cosθ
    sin^2θ=1-cos^2θ

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vertical: T*cos(θ)-m*g=0 → T=(m*g)/cos(θ)
    Horizontal: T*sin(θ) = m*a_c
    Combined the two: ((m*g)/cos(θ))sin(θ)=m*a_c → m*g*tan(θ)=m*a_c → g*tan(θ)=a_c
    we know that a_c=v^2/r, plug that in to get g*tan(θ)=v^2/r
    r=L*sin(θ) → g*tan(θ)=v^2/(L*sin(θ))

I cannot get past this point and the notes on the problem say that a quadratic equation needs to be solved at some point.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

You wrote r in terms of θ and proceeded to try to solve for θ. It left to a bit of a dead end, so now try to solve for r

See if you can write tan(θ) in terms of known quantites and r (it can be done) then you'll be able to solve it

4. Jun 3, 2014 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work so far. Continue from your last equation. Try isolating the trig functions on one side of the equation and all the constants on the other side. Let x = cosθ and see if you can get a quadratic equation in x.

5. Jun 3, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

I don't think that will work. The equation becomes:

[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{gL}=\frac{sin^{2}(θ)}{cos(θ)}[/itex]

There is another way to solve for θ (involving the quadratic equation) if you solve for r and then use r to find θ (once you know r, θ is trivial)

EDIT: actually you're right you could solve it that way... (solution removed) sorry about that you are correct

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  6. Jun 4, 2014 #5
    I understand where this equation comes from, but I am not sure how you would go about solving that for θ.

I don't understand at all what I would use to solve for r or how this would result in a quadratic equation.
    I am struggling with every aspect of this problem.

7. Jun 4, 2014 #6
    Nevermind!!!! I figured it out, thank you all so much for you guidance in this problem.

8. Jun 4, 2014 #7

Nathanael

Homework Helper

I know you said you figured it out now, but I'll still show you the other methods.

You could rewrite [itex]sin^2(θ)[/itex] as [itex]1-cos^2(θ)[/itex] (from pythagorean theorem) and then the equation becomes:
    [itex]\frac{v^2}{gL}=\frac{1-cos^2(θ)}{cos(θ)}=\frac{1}{cos(θ)}-cos(θ)[/itex]
    Multiply both sides by cos(θ) and rearrange and you'll get a quadratic equation (with x=cos(θ)) which can be solved for cos(θ):
    [itex]cos^2(θ)+\frac{v^2}{gL}cos(θ)-1=0[/itex]
    There will only be one root with an absolute value of less than one, so simply take the arccosine of it and you'll have θ
    You had written the equation [itex]g*tan(θ)=\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]
    Since [itex]L^2=r^2+y^2[/itex] (where y is the unknown side of the triangle) you could use the equation [itex]L^2=r^2+(r*cot(θ))^2[/itex]
    (... r*cot(θ) is the unknown side ...) to rewrite [itex]tan(θ)[/itex] as [itex]\sqrt{\frac{r^2}{L^2-r^2}}[/itex]
    Plug that expression into the "tan(θ)" part of your expression (and then square both sides and rearrange) and you'll get a quadratic equation (with [itex]x=r^2[/itex]) which you can solve for [itex]r^2[/itex]
    The quadratic equation would be:
    [itex]g^2r^4+v^4r^2-v^4L^2=0[/itex]
    There will be only 1 positive root, so take the square root of that to find r, then take the arcsin of (r/L) to find θ

Using either method, you'll find θ=41.1° (I double checked)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted