How can I make my spinning ring last longer?

In summary, the longer the spinning ring, the better. It needs to be made of a heavy material, have a low coefficient of friction surface, and be spherical in shape.
sidewalksound
Hello all-

This is a logistics question asking for some guidance, rather than one requiring scientific explanation.

I'm currently in a battle of sorts with a friend to record the longest spinning ring possible (like a wedding ring). Basically, spin the ring on a table and time it until it completely stops. I'm curious about what factors would make the ring spin longer assuming the technique remains equal.

I assume a heavier ring is better than a light one, a surface that has as low a coefficient of friction as possible (glass?) is best, and the ring should be rounded on it's side versus flat to limit surface area...

Any other advice? As the ring slows there can be a significant amount of "wobble time" as it settles, this changes according to the shape but not sure what design is actually ideal. Also what about spraying the (glass) surface with a Teflon spray to reduce friction further? Or would that just make it slightly bumpy and slow it?

Thanks for any help with this, I'll credit the forum when I break the current world record (which by the way is unofficially 3 minutes and eleven seconds, as far as I can find).
S

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the width and the diameter of the ring? How would those factor into spinning and wobbling time?

Thanks!

You can distort the ring into the shape of a spherical bead with a small hole in it. This should give you a good spin time. Topologically, it's still a ring.

Well it has to be a legitimate wearable ring, but I appreciate how that could help, thanks.

Oh, that kind of ring!

A smooth wedding ring would work best. It's made of gold alloy, so it's dense. 24 carot might work better. The cross section does a good job in minimizing air drag; it's close to the elliptical cross section used in biplane bracing wires. The greater the mass, the longer it should spin. Do you have a size 10 finger?

A spinning ring of the sort a person wears on a finger will always generate heat even with very effective lubrication.
I don't think it would be a hit as a fashion statement.

Mission accomplished.

1. What is a spinning ring?

A spinning ring, also known as a spinner ring or meditation ring, is a type of jewelry that consists of an inner band that is free to rotate around an outer band. It is often used as a stress-relieving tool or as a fidgeting aid.

2. How does a spinning ring work?

The inner band of the spinning ring is connected to the outer band through small channels or bearings, allowing it to rotate freely. This rotation can be achieved by flicking or spinning the ring with your fingers, providing a calming and soothing sensation.

3. What materials are spinning rings made of?

Spinning rings can be made from a variety of materials, including precious metals like gold, silver, and platinum, as well as stainless steel, titanium, and even wood. The outer band is often a smooth and solid ring, while the inner band may have texture or be adorned with gemstones or other designs.

4. Can spinning rings be resized?

Yes, spinning rings can be resized just like any other ring. However, it is important to note that resizing may affect the rotation of the inner band. It is recommended to consult with a professional jeweler who has experience with spinning rings to ensure proper resizing.

5. Are there any benefits of wearing a spinning ring?

Many people find that wearing a spinning ring can have a calming effect and help reduce stress and anxiety. It can also serve as a distraction or fidgeting tool for those who struggle with restlessness or fidgeting. Additionally, spinning rings can be a unique and stylish piece of jewelry to wear.