1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinning Sphere

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid sphere of mass M and radius R rotates freely in space with an angular velocity w about a fixed diameter. A particle of mass m, initially at one pole, movies with a constant velocity v along a great circle of the sphere. Show that when the particle has reached the other pole, the rotation of the sphere will have been retarded by an angle
    [tex]\alpha = \omega T ( 1 - \sqrt{\frac{2M}{2M+5m}}) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have a picture of a rotating sphere with a mass on it. I know that [tex]I_{total} = 2/5 M R^2 + mr^2[/tex] where r is the vector from the initial pole to the position of the particle on the sphere. I believe I also need to take into account the polar angle phi, and the azimuthal angle theta.

I know that angular momentum is conserved. So dL/dt = 0
    I also know that L = Iw

I was thinking of doing the following: d/dt(Iw) = 0 = d/dt(I) w + I d/dt(w)
    so far that hasn't worked, but I think it may be because I haven't been able to come up with a decent guess for the angular velocity w. My best guess so far is w = v/(r*sin(phi)), which is clearly incorrect.

Anyone have any hints?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    So I think I have narrowed it down to:

[tex]L = (2/5 M R^2 + m r^2) (d \phi / dt)[/tex]
    [tex]\phi = \int_0^T \frac{L dt}{2/5MR^2 + mr^2}[/tex]

Let
    [tex]\omega = 5/2 L / (MR^2)[/tex]
    Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a relationship between r(t) and t? In other words, how do I integrate that? I can't seem to recall anything that would work? I think I am getting close, I just can't get this darn integral to work out.

I know v is constant, but I can't seem to make anything out of that work.
    if v is constant then dv/dt = 0.
    I was thinking that [tex]v = r \theta[/tex] where theta is the azimuthal angle. But this implies that [tex]d^2( \theta)dt^2 = 0[/tex] which means that [tex]d/dt (\theta ) = constant[/tex] but that means that my expression for v doesn't work, so I am going to guess that it is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook