1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinning top

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Everyone has seen a spinning top in action, and maybe some of you have also seen how they're able to stabilize completely like shown in the attached picture. I do get that they're hard to stop spinning because of conservation of angular momentum, but that they should be able to stabilize just seems weird.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
  4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    I think you misunderstood me. I'm asking how it's able to get back into the position where it stands completely upright after it's been struck and started to preces at angle. I am pretty sure I have seen that happen.

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    My immediate guess is that it might be useful to consider the consequences of the contact point not being a perfect mathematical point, and the resulting interaction between the angular momenta of the top and the surface on which it spins...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook