1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinning wheel

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    In “Rumpelstiltskin,” the miller’s daughter is spinning straw into gold on a spinning wheel that turns at a speed of 7.5 m/s, making one revolution every 0.50 s. How long is a strand of gold that makes one complete turn around the wheel?

I know I am supposed to be telling what I know, but frankly I have no idea how to do this. I do no know the equation. I also do not understand how the wheel spins at one speed; isn't it supposed to spin at different speeds in different parts??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

You have to assume that the 7.5m/s refers to the speed of the perimeter of the wheel. Knowing that the perimeter of the wheel goes at 7.5m/s and that it makes one full revolution in 0.5 seconds, does that help? Applying only simple geometry now ^^

4. Nov 21, 2005 #3
    have you learned dimensional analysis?

multiplying 7.5 m by .5 s gives you the number of meters in one revolution, which is what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?