1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinor Decomposition of a tensor

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have heard, that a second rank tensor can always be decompose into a spin-2, a spin-1 and spin-0 part, being reducible. I want to pursue this further. Can anyone suggest me a nice reference for it?

TIA

Nikhil

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to know a little bit about group theory,namely Lie groups and their representations...Then u can attack this sort of problems emerging in QFT.

So my advice is:any group theory books which covers SU(2),SO(3)...and then try the first chapter from P.Ramond :"Field Theory:A Modern Primer"...

Daniel.

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4
    Hi, my answer comes a little bit late but I would propose the following reference if you want to learn more about spinors: "The Theory of spinors" (Elie Cartan) -e.g.: Dover Books- ISBN 0-486-64070-1 / Blackforest

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?