Solve Exercise 2.4 in Supergravity by Freedman & Van Proeyen

• I
  • Thread starter Korybut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the author is stuck on a simple exercise and is looking for a refference. The author proves the initial identity if the matrix is the Identity matrix, but it is not true. The author thinks that this identity may be true because different index structure of sigma matrices.
Korybut
Hi there!

I am reading textbook "Supergravity" by Freedman and Van Proeyen and got stuck on a simple exercise (Ex 2.4). Usually I would proceed further marking it as a typo but I've checked the errata list on the website and didn't find this exercise there

Exercise 2.4 Show that ## A\bar{\sigma}_\mu A^\dagger=\bar{\sigma}_\nu \Lambda^{-1}{}^\nu{}_\mu## and ##A^\dagger \sigma A=\sigma_\nu \Lambda^\nu{}_\mu## . This gives precise meaning to the statement that the matrices ##\bar{\sigma}_\mu## and ##\sigma_\nu## are 4-vectors

Sigma matrices in this book are defined as

$$\sigma_\mu=\left(-\mathbb{1},\sigma_i\right),\;\;\; \bar{\sigma}_\mu=\sigma^\mu=\left(\mathbb{1},\sigma_i\right).$$

And SL(2,C) transformations is defined as
$$ \mathbf{x}^\prime \equiv A \mathbf{x} A^\dagger$$

The first identity in the exercise is kinda straightforward and it is also easy to see that the second one holds for barred sigma-matrices. But I didn't managed to work out the identity in the form written in the exercise

Is it a typo or I missing something very deep?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the only difference between the barred and unbarred sigma matrices is that ##\sigma_0 = -1## while ##\bar \sigma_0 = 1##. Since 1 is just the identity matrix, I don't see how you could have gotten different results for the barred vs. unbarred case.

Since it is involved in the contraction on r.h.s. of the identity it makes difference.

This identity is true
$$ A^\dagger \bar{\sigma}_\mu A=\bar{\sigma}_\nu\Lambda^\nu{}_\mu.$$
And it is kinda obvious. When I apply inverse SL(2,C) transformation it should result in inverse Lorentz transformation.

Also one may show the following

$$A^\dagger \sigma_\nu A=\sum_\mu \sigma_\mu \Lambda_\mu{}^\nu$$
(I know that it looks weird from tensor calculus perspective. By writing this I mean one should extract exact values (for particular ##\mu## and ##\nu##)in some referrence frame)

The initial identity is proven if ## \Lambda_\mu{}^\nu=\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu##, but it is not true

Last edited:
After some thinking and asking I believe that this identity may be true due different index structure of sigma matrices

$$ \sigma_{\mu \alpha \dot{\alpha}}, \bar{\sigma}_\mu {}^{\dot{\alpha} \alpha}$$

If someone has a nice comprehensive refference on this spinor algebra issues I would be very thankful.

P.S. It can really drive someone insane when one sees the expression like ## (M^T)_\alpha {}^\beta## without any explanation on the meaning of this notation.

1. What is Supergravity?

Supergravity is a theory that combines the principles of general relativity and supersymmetry to describe the behavior of gravity at both a quantum and classical level. It is a theoretical framework that seeks to unify the laws of physics by incorporating both gravity and quantum mechanics.

2. Who are Freedman and Van Proeyen?

Daniel Z. Freedman and Antoine Van Proeyen are physicists who, along with Sergio Ferrara, developed the first supergravity theory in 1976. Their work has been instrumental in the development of modern theories of supergravity and supersymmetry.

3. What is Exercise 2.4 in Supergravity by Freedman & Van Proeyen?

Exercise 2.4 in Supergravity by Freedman & Van Proeyen is a specific problem or question posed in their book "Supergravity", which serves as a textbook and reference for the study of supergravity theories. It is one of many exercises designed to help readers better understand the concepts and principles discussed in the book.

4. What does it mean to solve Exercise 2.4?

Solving Exercise 2.4 means to successfully answer or solve the problem or question posed in that particular exercise. This may involve using mathematical equations, applying theoretical concepts, or using other problem-solving techniques to arrive at the correct solution.

5. Why is Supergravity important in physics?

Supergravity is important in physics because it provides a framework for unifying the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. It also plays a crucial role in theories of quantum gravity and string theory, which seek to explain the behavior of particles and forces at a fundamental level.