Solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving real antisymmetric tensors and spinorial tensors. It is mentioned that if a certain condition is met, then the partial derivatives of the tensors will be zero. The conversation also touches on the proof of this condition and the concept of a unique connection in curved space-time.
ergospherical
I'm trying to figure out how to do these sorts of calculations but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out where to start. Take problem 3) of Chapter 13 of Wald, i.e. given that a real antisymmetric tensor ##F_{ab}##, corresponding to the spinorial tensor ##F_{AA' BB'}## by the map ##{\sigma^a}_{AA'}##, can be written as\begin{align*}
F_{AA' BB'} = \phi_{AB} \bar{\epsilon}_{A'B'} + \bar{\phi}_{A'B'} \epsilon_{AB}
\end{align*}to show that ##\partial^a F_{ab} = 0## and ##\partial_{[a} F_{bc]} = 0## if and only if ##\phi^{AB}## satisfies ##\partial_{A_1' A_1} \phi^{A_1, \dots, A_n} = 0##. I've really not much idea where to start; the spinor equivalent of the first Maxwell equation should be\begin{align*}
\partial^{AA'} F_{AA'BB'} = \phi_{AB} \partial^{AA'} \bar{\epsilon}_{A'B'} + \bar{\epsilon}_{A'B'} \partial^{AA'} \phi_{AB} + \bar{\phi}_{A'B'} \partial^{AA'} \epsilon_{AB} + \epsilon_{AB} \partial^{AA'} \bar{\phi}_{A'B'} = 0
\end{align*}In the text it's mentioned that ##\partial_{AA'} \epsilon_{BC} = 0##, but no proof is given. Maybe as a starter, how can I show that it follows from the definition ##\partial_{\Lambda \Lambda'} \epsilon_{\Sigma \Omega} = \sum_{\mu} {\sigma^{\mu}}_{\Lambda \Lambda'} \dfrac{\partial \epsilon_{\Sigma \Omega}}{\partial x^{\mu}}##? I reckon its simply because ##\epsilon^{\Sigma \Omega} = o^\Sigma \iota^\Omega - \iota^\Sigma o^\Omega## is independent of the spacetime coordinates, with ##\{o, \iota\}## being a fixed basis of ##W##...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the components are constant, so all the derivatives will be zero. In curved space-time you need the theorem that there is a unique connection with the given properties, one of which is that the ##\epsilon## has zero covariant derivative.

Likes ergospherical

1. What are Spinorial Maxwell's Equations?

Spinorial Maxwell's Equations are a set of equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the presence of gravity. They are an extension of the traditional Maxwell's Equations, which only apply in flat spacetime.

2. Why is it important to solve Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald?

Solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald allows us to incorporate the effects of gravity into our understanding of electromagnetic fields. This is crucial for understanding phenomena such as black holes and the bending of light in the presence of massive objects.

3. Who is Wald and why is his approach significant?

Robert M. Wald is a physicist who developed a mathematical formalism for solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations. His approach is significant because it provides a rigorous and consistent way to incorporate the effects of gravity into the equations.

4. What are some applications of solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald?

Solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald has many practical applications, such as understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields near black holes, predicting the behavior of light in the presence of massive objects, and developing more accurate models of the universe.

5. Are there any challenges in solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald?

Yes, there are some challenges in solving Spinorial Maxwell's Equations with Wald. One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equations, which require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Additionally, the equations become more difficult to solve in situations involving strong gravitational fields or rapidly changing electromagnetic fields.