Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinors books

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Are spinors needed in modern theoretical physics as opposed to tensors? I have come across Penrose's book "Spinors and space-time". Does anybody know what mathematical prerequisites are needed to actually understand it? (at least volume 1) Can I manage to go through it with a good knowledge of real analysis and linear algebra and a very basic understanding of topology?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Penrose and Rindler is to me the ultimate level. You should start with something light, like a group theory book like Wu Ki Tung (1984), or Cromwell (vol.2) which have good chapters on spinorial representations of the restricted Lorentz group.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chapter 3 from The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime: An Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity is a nice, readable introduction to spinors. Actually, the entire book is quite nice.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

George is speaking about

The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime: An Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity (Applied Mathematical Sciences) by Gregory L. Naber.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    Ok, I have had a look at The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime and seems really good. Thanks again for your advice!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook