1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinors books

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Are spinors needed in modern theoretical physics as opposed to tensors? I have come across Penrose's book "Spinors and space-time". Does anybody know what mathematical prerequisites are needed to actually understand it? (at least volume 1) Can I manage to go through it with a good knowledge of real analysis and linear algebra and a very basic understanding of topology?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Penrose and Rindler is to me the ultimate level. You should start with something light, like a group theory book like Wu Ki Tung (1984), or Cromwell (vol.2) which have good chapters on spinorial representations of the restricted Lorentz group.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chapter 3 from The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime: An Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity is a nice, readable introduction to spinors. Actually, the entire book is quite nice.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

George is speaking about

The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime: An Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity (Applied Mathematical Sciences) by Gregory L. Naber.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    Ok, I have had a look at The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime and seems really good. Thanks again for your advice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook