Understanding Spinor's Helicity

• I
  • Thread starter kelly0303
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helicity
In summary, the Dirac Hamiltonian does not commute with the z component of the spin operator, but it does commute with the helicity operator. This allows for the simultaneous measurement of energy and helicity of a particle, but not its spin along the z-axis. However, in practical situations, there are usually other factors that affect the choice of coordinate system, making this scenario not very useful.
kelly0303
Hello! The free Dirac hamiltonian doesn't commute with the z component of the spin operator ##S_z##, but it commutes with the helicity operator ##h=S\cdot\hat{p}##. This means one can know at the same time the energy and helicity of a particle, but not its spin along the z-axis. I am a bit confused about this. One can measure the momentum of a free particle and hence get its energy. So energy and momentum are simultaneous observables for a free particle. But so is helicity, too. So if I know the momentum of the particle, and choose my z axis to be in that direction, and I know it's helicity, too, don't I know (by the definition of helicity) the spin of the particle along the z, axis i.e. ##S_z##? What is wrong with my logic? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong, this is just not very useful for analysing any interesting situation, where you would usually have some other significant direction that dictates how you want to choose your coordinate system. For example a magnetic field in some direction, that you might want to choose to be the z direction rather than the direction of motion.

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong, this is just not very useful for analysing any interesting situation, where you would usually have some other significant direction that dictates how you want to choose your coordinate system. For example a magnetic field in some direction, that you might want to choose to be the z direction rather than the direction of motion.
I am not sure I understand. In this situation I gave (which indeed is not very useful in practice), I am able (if my logic is correct) to measure the spin and energy of the particle at the same time. But their operators don't commute. Shouldn't it be impossible to measure both, no matter how I set up the axis? For example, in the momentum position case, no matter what system I choose, or how I place my axis (or what I do whatsoever) I will never be able to precisely measure both. Why could I do that here?

No, you are able to measure the projection of the spin along the direction of motion of the particle. Calling that direction z does not really change anything. If you go through the math you will see that Hamiltonian and ##S_z## operator do commute if ##p_x=p_y=0## (which is just a special case of saying that helicity commutes with the Hamiltonian).

1. What is a spinor's helicity?

A spinor's helicity is a measure of the spin orientation of a particle. It is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle and can have values of either +1/2 or -1/2.

2. How is a spinor's helicity different from spin?

Spin and helicity are related but distinct properties. Spin is a vector quantity that describes the angular momentum of a particle, while helicity is a scalar quantity that describes the projection of the spin onto the direction of motion of the particle.

3. What is the significance of understanding spinor's helicity?

Understanding spinor's helicity is important in the study of particle physics and quantum mechanics. It helps us to better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, and can also provide insights into the fundamental nature of the universe.

4. How is a spinor's helicity measured?

A spinor's helicity can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and detectors. These methods involve analyzing the properties of particles and their interactions to determine their helicity.

5. Can a spinor's helicity change over time?

No, a spinor's helicity is a conserved quantity and cannot change over time. This is known as the conservation of helicity and is a fundamental principle in particle physics.