Understanding the Role of Spinors in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the hand-waving answer is that you need a field operator that consists of both a creation and annihilation operator in order to solve the negative-frequency solutions for free particles. The more advanced idea is to think in terms of group theory, which leads to a two-valued representation of the proper orthochronous Lorentz group in terms of SL(2,C) matrices. You then need the direct product of these two representations to also define the parity (space reflection) transformation.
Milsomonk
Hey guys,
Hope all is well. I'm trying to get my head round some of the Quantum Mechanics of spin. I fully understand why the Pauli equation acts on a two component spinor wavefunction, where I'm a little confused is why the Dirac equation then acts on a 4 component spinor wavefunction. I get that it is in a sense four coupled equations but why is spin implied? I've done a fair bit of reading in the griffiths book but any extra insight would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a hand-waving answer and one based on group theory.

Let's start with the hand-waving answer: Relativistic QT is most easily formulated in terms of quantum field theory, because when particles collide at relativistic energies, it's possible that new particles get created, i.e., the particle number is not conserved. It turns out that you only get a local quantum field theory, i.e., a theory such that under Lorentz transformations the field operators transform as the corresponding classical fields, in a local way, i.e.,
$$\psi'(x')=S \psi(\Lambda^{-1} x'),$$
where ##S## is an appropriate matrix acting on the field components, it turns out that you always need a field operator that consists of both a annihilation and a creation operator.

At the same time this helps to solve the problem with the negative-frequency solutions for free particles. You don't like to interpret those as particles with negative energy, because this would mean that there's no stable ground state. In QFT that's no problem since you just write a creation operator in front of the negative-frequency solutions and a annihilation operator in front of the positive-frequency solutions. Then you get two sorts of particles with the same mass but opposite charges: particle and its corresponding antiparticle. If you work this out for particles with spin 1/2 you get to the Dirac equation.

As I said, it's the hand-waving answer, and you need also a lot of hand waving doing this with math. The more advanced idea is to think in terms of group theory. As it turns out you can extend the spin-1/2 representations of rotations (SU(2) matrices) to the full Lorentz group. This leads to a two-valued representation of the proper orthochronous Lorentz group in terms of SL(2,C) matrices. Now there's another representation also two-dimensional which is not equivalent, namely the conjugate complex representation (the matrices are still SL(2,C) matrices). Then it turns out that you need the direct product of these two representations to also define the parity (space reflection) transformation. So all together you get a four-dimensional spinor, and the corresponding representation of the orthochronous Lorentz group defines how these Dirac spinors transform under these transformations.

Likes Nameless_Paladin
Thanks! that helps a lot. Sometimes a hand wavy answer and a more formal one are just what you need.

1. What are spinors in quantum mechanics?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of particles in quantum mechanics. They are represented by complex numbers or matrices and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How are spinors different from vectors?

Spinors and vectors are both mathematical objects used to describe physical quantities, but they behave differently under rotations. While vectors remain unchanged when rotated, spinors undergo a change in sign, making them better suited for describing the spin of particles.

3. Why are spinors important in quantum mechanics?

Spinors are important in quantum mechanics because they help explain many phenomena that cannot be described by classical physics. These include the behavior of subatomic particles, the structure of atoms, and the properties of materials at the atomic level.

4. Can spinors be visualized?

Spinors cannot be visualized in the traditional sense, as they do not correspond to any physical object. However, some visualizations, such as the Bloch sphere, can be used to represent spinors and their states.

5. How are spinors used in practical applications?

Spinors have a wide range of practical applications, including in quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and particle physics experiments. They also play a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as spintronics, which uses the spin of particles to store and manipulate information.