1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinors (quantum mechanics)

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    This is not an assignment problem, but I am studying for my quantum mechanics final exam and came across a derivation in the book which I can't seem to get my head around :(

The example in the book is solving for the probabilities of getting +h(bar)/2 and -h(bar)/2 if we are to measure the spin angular momentum Sx.

I was able to follow the derivation up to the point where they obtained the eigenspinors:

X+ = [1/sqrt2 1/sqrt2]' and X- = [1/sqrt2 -1/sqrt2]'

But I don't get how they go from those to formulating the spinor:

X = [(a+b)/sqrt2]X+ + [(a-b)/sqrt2]X-

Any guidance would be much appreciated - thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

I'm assuming a and b are the coefficients in
    [tex]\chi = \begin{pmatrix}a \\ b\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    right?

Think of it this way: all possible spinors form a vector space. The vectors (1,0) and (0,1) form the standard basis for that space - in other words, when you have a state [itex]\chi[/itex] defined by two coefficients a and b, that's actually saying
    [tex]\chi = a\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix} + b\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    But you can express the same state in terms of any other basis. For example, [itex]\chi_+[/itex] and [itex]\chi_-[/itex] form a basis (just like (1/√2,1/√2) and (1/√2,-1/√2) form a basis for the xy plane), so you can write the state [itex]\chi[/itex] as
    [tex]\chi = c\chi_+ + d\chi_- = c\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\end{pmatrix} + d\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    The coefficients c and d are the components of [itex]\chi[/itex] in the +- basis. Can you find them?

(Hint: if you're familiar with the vector projection formula, that's probably the quickest - though certainly not the only - way to do it)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook