Exploring Theories of Spiral Galaxy Formation

In summary, there are two theories for the formation of spiral arms: the SSPSF shock wave model and the Density wave model. Some believe that a combination of the two may be responsible. There are also new insights being explored, with some schools of thought proposing that the arms trace the path of primordial gas during the collapse phase. However, complications arise from intervening effects, such as shocks caused by pop III stars. The principle of spiral arms being formed from overdense regions in a rotating mass is consistent with observations. This idea also ties into the concept of a none homogeneous isotropic universe with voids and fractal mass distribution. The formation of a galaxy is seen as a basic starting point, analogous to an enormous whirlpool of coales
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So far i have found two theorise of how they form, the SSPSF
shock wave model ,and the Density wave model, or they may
form by a combination of the two.
As i am not sure how old these theories are, i wonder if there are
any new insights on the subject?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
By some schools of thought, spiral arms trace the path taken by primordial gas molecules during the collapse phase. Intervening effects, like shocks imparted by detonations of pop III stars complicate matters when you try to run numerical simulations, but the principle is consistent with observations.

Chronos said:
By some schools of thought, spiral arms trace the path taken by primordial gas molecules during the collapse phase. Intervening effects, like shocks imparted by detonations of pop III stars complicate matters when you try to run numerical simulations, but the principle is consistent with observations.

Trace the path taken by primordial ----,
what does this mean? i am trying to understand the (as it seems to me) the
none homogeneous isotropic universe, the universe that has vast voids and
seemingly fractal mass distribution, if this is not mainstream, i apologise, but
the formation of a galaxy seems to me a basic starting point.

More like an enormous whirlpool of coalescing gas. Stars form from knots in the flow - local overdense regions - but remain bound to the system at large. Centripetal force flattens out the edges of this huge, rotating mass.

1. What is the current leading theory for the formation of spiral galaxies?

The leading theory for the formation of spiral galaxies is the density wave theory. This theory proposes that spiral arms are not physical structures, but rather are regions of higher density within the galaxy's disk where stars and gas become more tightly packed. These density waves move through the galaxy, causing stars and gas to bunch up and form the characteristic spiral arm pattern.

2. How do scientists study the formation of spiral galaxies?

Scientists study the formation of spiral galaxies through a combination of observations and theoretical models. Observations of various types of galaxies at different stages of development, along with computer simulations, help scientists piece together the most likely scenarios for how spiral galaxies form and evolve over time.

3. What role do dark matter and dark energy play in the formation of spiral galaxies?

Dark matter is believed to play a crucial role in the formation of spiral galaxies. Its gravitational pull helps to shape and stabilize the spinning motion of the gas and stars within the galaxy, allowing for the formation of spiral arms. Dark energy, on the other hand, does not directly influence the formation of spiral galaxies, but it does play a role in the overall expansion of the universe, which can impact the evolution of galaxies over time.

4. Are there any competing theories for the formation of spiral galaxies?

While the density wave theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the formation of spiral galaxies, there are other theories that have been proposed, such as the gravitational instability theory and the merger theory. These theories suggest alternative mechanisms for the formation of spiral galaxies, but they have not gained as much support as the density wave theory.

5. Can spiral galaxies continue to evolve and change over time?

Yes, spiral galaxies are constantly evolving and changing. As they interact with other galaxies and experience various internal processes, such as star formation and supernova explosions, their structures and dynamics can be altered. In fact, some spiral galaxies may eventually evolve into different types of galaxies, such as elliptical galaxies, as they continue to evolve over billions of years.