Spiral balance spring questions

In summary, to determine the correct size balance spring for your clock, you will need to calculate the torque that the spring must provide using the equation Torque=Mass x Angular Velocity x Radius. This torque value should be converted into the units that the spring supplier uses (gram/cm/100 degrees) to determine the strength of the spring you need to order. This can be done by dividing the torque value by 100 degrees and multiplying it by the radius of the balance wheel. In this case, the required strength is 126.97 g/cm.
mguysmith
First off i am not a student per say, this is related to my hobby
I am repairing an old clock and need to replace the balance spring which is completely missing. I have located ONE source that may carry suitable springs but I cannot figure out which spring to order.

The spring supplier sorts their springs by strength as expressed in the following units
gram/cm/100 degrees.

Given that my balance wheel is
14mm in diameter
has a mass of 0.8 grams
osscilates through an arc og 270 degrees in each direction
and osscilates 4 times per second
mb it down
how do i determine the correct size balance spring?

please be advised that i am an english major and have no physics background at all, so don't be afraid to du

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
To determine the correct size balance spring for your clock, you will need to calculate the torque that the spring must provide in order to move the balance wheel. This torque can be calculated using the equation Torque=Mass x Angular Velocity x Radius. To do this, you must first convert the angular velocity from revolutions per second (4 rev/s) to degrees per second (2160°/s). Next, you need to calculate the torque the spring needs to provide. This is equal to the product of the mass (0.8 g), the angular velocity (2160°/s), and the radius of the balance wheel (7mm). So the torque required is 0.8 g * 2160°/s * 7mm = 8928 g-mm/s. Finally, you need to convert this torque value into the units that the spring supplier uses: gram/cm/100 degrees. To do this, divide the torque value (8928 g-mm/s) by 100 degrees and multiply it by the radius of the balance wheel (7mm) to get the result in grams/cm. This gives us a result of 126.97 g/cm. Therefore, you should order a balance spring with a strength of 126.97 g/cm from the supplier.

1. What is a spiral balance spring?

A spiral balance spring is a component found in mechanical watches that helps regulate the timekeeping accuracy by controlling the movement of the balance wheel. It is a thin, coiled spring made of a special alloy that allows it to expand and contract with changes in temperature, keeping the watch running consistently.

2. How does a spiral balance spring work?

The spiral balance spring works by providing a restoring force to the balance wheel, which is responsible for keeping the watch's timekeeping accuracy. As the balance wheel oscillates back and forth, the spiral balance spring expands and contracts, controlling the speed of the balance wheel's movement. This constant back-and-forth motion helps keep the watch running accurately.

3. What are the benefits of a spiral balance spring?

The main benefit of a spiral balance spring is its ability to maintain the timekeeping accuracy of a mechanical watch. It also helps prevent the watch from gaining or losing time due to changes in temperature, making it more reliable. Additionally, the use of a spiral balance spring allows for more precise adjustments to the watch's timekeeping, resulting in a more accurate and consistent timepiece.

4. Can a spiral balance spring be adjusted?

Yes, a spiral balance spring can be adjusted to fine-tune the timekeeping accuracy of a mechanical watch. This is typically done by watchmakers using specialized tools to manipulate the length or shape of the spring, which can affect the rate at which the balance wheel oscillates. Adjusting the spiral balance spring requires a high level of skill and precision to avoid damaging the delicate component.

5. How does the quality of a spiral balance spring affect a watch?

The quality of a spiral balance spring can have a significant impact on the overall accuracy and performance of a watch. A high-quality spring made of a durable and precise alloy will result in a more accurate timepiece, while a lower quality spring may cause the watch to lose or gain time more easily. The shape and length of the spring also play a role in the watch's accuracy, so a well-crafted spiral balance spring is crucial for a reliable and precise timekeeping experience.