Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spiral Galaxies' Arms

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1

Sanborn Chase

Gold Member

Why do the arms of spiral galaxies usually bifurcate? Is the visible matter in them moving in or out from the center?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The visible matter is mostly moving in complicated elliptical orbits about the center of the galaxy, but I'm sure a small amount is sent towards or away from the center due to gravitational interactions. I can't answer why they are bifurcated though.

4. Dec 19, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2 armed galaxies are only one of many forms, many have multiple arms, many have none that can be easily identified

5. Dec 19, 2016 #4
    One thing to keep in mind is that spiral arms in galaxies are "density waves" and not actual structures of the matter. They represent the area where many millions of stellar orbits reach their maximum distance from the galactic center of mass. At this point they are traveling the slowest and so "pile up" in the region producing the appearance of more stars than in-between the arms. But the individual stars in each arm are changing continuously.

Put another way, the arms are an illusion. They aren't like a whirlpool or anything like that.

6. Dec 20, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohh yeah ???
    I would like to see some valid citations for your comment !!

there is NO "appearance" they are really there you can see them go supernova, you can do spectroscopic work on those stars

Their location IS physical

Dave

7. Dec 20, 2016 #6

Sanborn Chase

Gold Member

8. Dec 20, 2016 #7
    The stars are real but the arms in a spiral galaxy are not; as I stated, they are simply an illusion. I'd recommend An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics as a reference. It's in one of the later chapters if I recall correctly...

(Think of where an oscillating particle spends most of its time: on the edges of its motion. This is because it is traveling slowest at that point. It's the same thing with galaxies and stellar orbits. The stars just spend more time there.)

9. Dec 21, 2016 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The stars in a galaxy really are [were, given the finite speed of light] where they appear to be as Dave noted, however, Rex is correct in that they do not form and remain in spiral arms as they orbit a spiral galaxy. Their individual motions follow a density wave profile as illustrated here .

10. Dec 21, 2016 #9

Sanborn Chase

Gold Member

First, thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.
    Chronos, the video clip of the motions of stars in a spiral galaxy was most illuminating and answered the second part of my first post concerning the movement of individual stars into and out of the center.
    As the galaxy itself is moving through space(and time) would it not form the basic configuration of a transformer?
    Again, many thanks to all of you.

11. Dec 21, 2016 #10
    Excellent video!

Sanborn Chase, do you mean an electric transformer?

12. Dec 21, 2016 #11

Sanborn Chase

Gold Member

Yes, an electrical type transformer in its form. And Mr. Bernhardt cautioned me about posting pet theories, personal opinions, etc. I trust I haven't bent the pipe.

13. Dec 21, 2016 #12

Drakkith

No. Not at all.

14. Dec 21, 2016 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm curious what characteristic led you to that conclusion. I must be missing something because I just don't see it at all. I mean, I know that it's NOT, I'm just curious why you think it might be.

15. Dec 21, 2016 #14
    Probably because of near or actual collision with other galaxies,
    More galaxies are spheriod/elipitical

16. Dec 21, 2016 #15

Sanborn Chase

Gold Member

I may have been misunderstood by Mr. Phinds; spiral galaxies when considered over time seem to describe a form similar to an electrical transformer. I don't believe they are electrical transformers, although they may be. I'm trying to understand the reasons for the various forms galaxies take on as they transform one or more things into others. Their forms must follow their purposes.

17. Dec 21, 2016 #16
    A galaxy has a purpose?

18. Dec 21, 2016 #17

berkeman

Say which what?

19. Dec 22, 2016 #18

Sanborn Chase

Gold Member

Have I said something heretical? Is it not proper to assume the stars have arranged themselves so for a reason, and this may be worthy of our scrutiny?

20. Dec 22, 2016 #19
    I think we're all confused why a galaxy seems related to an electrical transformer. Perhaps you could explain what you mean?

The motion and arrangement of stars in galaxies is deeply studied. It's really quite interesting!

21. Dec 22, 2016 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, the stars do not "arrange themselves". That puts an anthropomorphic spin on inanimate objects and thus is not science. Studying how the stars are arranged is certainly a valid (and interesting) field of study but let's not bring consciousness into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook