Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spiral parametrization in 3D

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    Hello!
    There is a parametric way of defining a spiral curve:
    z = a*t;
    x = r1*cos(w*t)
    y = r2*sin(w*t).
    Is there a way to define the thickness of spiral?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2
    Wow, that's an interesting idea. If there is, the thickness is an inequality. I don't know about any 3d parametric graph generators that handle inequality though, so it'd be hard to play with.

Think about a 2d parametric system, defining a circle. Is there a way to give the circle 'width', such that it resembles a flat torus? Ah, in this case what you need is two parametric curves, and then define another system that lies between the earlier curves (Although, I don't think this is what you wanted).

width.png
    I defined this system implicitly, not parametrically, but only due to how my graphing software works (Winplot)
    $$
    x^2 + y^2 \leq (1-A/2)^2
    $$
    $$
    x^2 + y^2 \geq (1+A/2)^2
    $$

Unfortunately, I'm not that experienced with 3d parametric equations. I know, though, that a spiral curve with thickness... i.e. a spiral 'cord' is possible to be represented parametrically if the torus is possible. But, unfortunately, I've been having trouble getting the torus to work on Winplot.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Oct 29, 2014 #3
    This seems like a reasonable attempt:

z=a*t + thickness*cos(u)
    x=(r+thickness*cos(u))*cos(w*t)
    y=(r+thickness*cos(u))*sin(w*t)

For a surface you'll need two parameters u and t of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook