Spiral piece of wood moves upstream

In summary, the conversation discusses two videos featuring a spiral branch that moves in a snake-like motion when placed in water. The first video shows the branch moving in a stream, while the second video shows it moving upwards when water is poured into a container. The possibility of string being involved is mentioned, with speculation that illusionists may use fishing line in similar tricks. The conversation ends with the decision not to debunk pseudoscience or fake videos.
MulderFBI
Hi I have found a video which is composed of 2 videos. In the first one you can see that a spiral branch is put into a stream and starts to move by itself in a snake like motion.

In the second video similar spiral piece of wood is floating in a container and then water is poured into it and it starts to move upwards the stream of water. How's that possible? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i wouldn't be surprised if a bit of string was involved.

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
i wouldn't be surprised if a bit of string was involved.
That was my thought too. I can’t see the string, but it certainly moves as though it were being pulled by string.

The first one, in particular, seems like string. There is a wake, and they carefully avoid showing the front end of the stick before it is submerged.

Illusionists use fishing line. Fish can’t see it either.

Since we don't debunk pseudoscience or fake videos, thread is done.

Likes Dale

1. What causes a spiral piece of wood to move upstream?

The movement of a spiral piece of wood upstream is caused by the flow of water. As the water flows downstream, it creates a current that pushes the wood in the opposite direction.

2. Is the movement of a spiral piece of wood upstream a natural occurrence?

Yes, the movement of a spiral piece of wood upstream is a natural occurrence. It is a result of the laws of physics, specifically the principle of action and reaction.

3. Can other objects besides wood move upstream in a spiral pattern?

Yes, any object that is light enough and has a spiral shape can move upstream in a similar manner. However, the size and shape of the object may affect the speed and direction of its movement.

4. How does the shape of the spiral piece of wood affect its movement upstream?

The shape of the spiral piece of wood plays a crucial role in its movement upstream. The spiral shape creates turbulence in the water, which reduces the friction and allows the wood to move more easily against the current.

5. Can the movement of a spiral piece of wood upstream be used for any practical purpose?

Yes, the movement of a spiral piece of wood upstream can be harnessed for certain applications. For example, it can be used to generate electricity in watermills or to propel boats against the current.