Build a Square Spiral Scissor Lift for VEX Worlds

• Thread starter baceball7666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Spiral
In summary, the conversation is about building a robot for the VEX worlds competition with a spiral scissor lift. The challenge is having only two motors to use on this part of the robot, which has a square base. The question is posed for theories on how to make the spiral lift work while maintaining stability. The concept of a hyperboloid structure is brought up as a potential solution. The person also requests a picture for reference.
baceball7666
I am building a robot for the VEX worlds competition and, I was thinking of a spiral scissor lift. But my problem is I only have two mothers to use on this part of the robot. The robot has a square base, so the spiral has to be square. If you could give your theories of how it would work, that would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.
A scissor lift becomes narrower in one dimension as it gets higher. To do that in a spiral would require a cylinder that reduces diameter as it increases in height. That is not good for stability. What is a mother?
Is this anything like your concept; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperboloid_structure
It would be good if you could link to a picture similar to what you have in mind.

image.jpg

This is the robots base if this helps.

i meant motor not mother.

I would like to commend you for your innovative idea of using a spiral scissor lift for your robot in the VEX worlds competition. The challenge of using only two motors for this lift is certainly a difficult one, but with careful planning and execution, it is definitely achievable.

My theory for how this lift could work is by utilizing the concept of rotational motion. The two motors could be placed at the base of the spiral, with one motor rotating clockwise and the other rotating counterclockwise. This would create a twisting force along the spiral, causing it to lift upwards.

To ensure that the spiral remains square, you could use a square-shaped guide rod at the center of the spiral. This guide rod would be attached to the base of the robot and would provide stability and support for the spiral as it lifts.

Additionally, you could incorporate a pulley system within the spiral to help distribute the weight evenly and reduce strain on the motors. This would also allow for smoother and more controlled movement of the lift.

In conclusion, building a square spiral scissor lift with only two motors is certainly a challenging task, but with careful planning and the implementation of rotational motion and a pulley system, it is definitely achievable. I wish you the best of luck in the VEX worlds competition and I look forward to seeing your innovative lift design in action.

1. How does the square spiral scissor lift work?

The square spiral scissor lift works by using a series of interconnected scissor-like arms that expand and contract to lift and lower a platform. As the arms expand, they create a larger surface area to support the platform, and as they contract, they lift the platform upwards.

2. Can the square spiral scissor lift be controlled remotely?

Yes, the square spiral scissor lift can be controlled remotely using a motor and a controller. The motor can be programmed to expand and contract the arms of the lift, allowing for precise control of the platform's height.

3. What materials are needed to build a square spiral scissor lift for VEX Worlds?

The materials needed to build a square spiral scissor lift for VEX Worlds include VEX Robotics components, such as motors, gears, and structural pieces, as well as other common materials like screws, nuts, and bolts. You may also need tools like pliers and a screwdriver to assemble the lift.

4. How long does it take to build a square spiral scissor lift for VEX Worlds?

The time it takes to build a square spiral scissor lift for VEX Worlds will vary depending on your experience level and the complexity of your design. On average, it can take several hours to a few days to build and test a functional lift.

5. How much weight can a square spiral scissor lift for VEX Worlds hold?

The weight capacity of a square spiral scissor lift for VEX Worlds will depend on the quality and strength of the materials used, as well as the design of the lift itself. However, with proper construction and reinforcement, a square spiral scissor lift can typically hold several pounds of weight.