Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spirit Landed Successfully, sending pictures

1. Jan 4, 2004 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great News,

NASA's Spirit rover has landed and is transmitting.

Probably a timed link

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan has a better link here

4. Jan 5, 2004 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Space.com's complete coverage...
    http://www.space.com/marsrover/

Way to go NASA!
    The associated rover, Opportunity, is scheduled to land Jan 24!

5. Jan 6, 2004 #4
    I was wondering about this. What will Opportunity do that the previous rover didn't do before? And isn't the rover still in good condition?

6. Jan 15, 2004 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

Yes, Sprit is in excellent health. Opportunity will land on the opposite side of the planet, and in an area geographically dissimilar to any site we have previously examined.

A friend of mine recently heard talk of a metallic glint in one of the Sprit photos, and the possibility that it might be a distant glimps of Viking. I am certain the individual was talking about the images taken by Mars Global Surveyer, but I found myself unnable to map out in my mind where MER-1 is in relation to Viking and Pathfinder. Does anyone know where I might find a map of Mars showing past and present landing sights?

7. Jan 16, 2004 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Does anyone know if the proposed quantum cascade laser for atmospheric analysis was included?

8. Jan 17, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're a nerd???

I hadn't noticed this with all of the discussion about your wall eating dog, drooling Zoobie, drooling Zooby, chocolate, and the masturbating bear.

My sister called and mentioned the "footprints" in the soil next to the lander. At the time I was not aware of the interest in the airbag's skid marks - the clumpy soil shots - which are what she had seen. I started laughing and assured her that such an event would yield 24 hrs news coverage and announcements from the president. She assumed that we had seen these "footprints", the press had shown everyone, and now we just proceed like it's no big deal.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  9. Jan 17, 2004 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

One of my personalities is. :wink:

Hey the masturbating bear is chroot's!

That's too funny. Quite imaginative to see "footprints".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?