Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Dec 29, 2004 #1
    A quick question,
    IF there is such a thing in the philosophy forum...

How would you define spirituality, whether it be religious or non-religious? Is it a intellectual experience or an emotional? Or both?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

A dictionary would define spirituality as a religious concept, but I believe it to be quite different and feel the dictionary needs a serious update on the defintion (that's besides the point however :smile: ).

A favorite quote I read once:
    Religion is for those who fear going to hell
    Spirituality is for those who have been there.

I define spirituality as a sort of an individualized philosophy shaped by personal experiences that yield a perspective unique to that individual. The individual is able to recognize this and can share their philosophy, however understands that each much have their own ultimately. Religion tends to place a perspective that "one size fits all", thus all must follow the beliefs set forth, regardless of individual experiences.
  4. Dec 30, 2004 #3
    What about upbringing and external values? Would you consider those personal experiences?

I've always thought of spirituality as something religious. However, in reading Kerrie's definition of it, I am able to see a non-religious side to it.
  5. Dec 30, 2004 #4
    I think spirituality is an explanation for the feelings we can not explain. God given ones that come from the sole.
  6. Dec 30, 2004 #5
    IN regards to Pikapika's responce:

How would you define it in a Non-religous sense? IF not then what is the soul and how does it relate to spiriuality?
  7. Dec 31, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

that is where religion/morals fall into place. i would consider the external values more of a "group" set standard since values tend to have some sort of an effect on other people. this is only my opinion however
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?