Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spirituality?

1. Dec 29, 2004 #1
    A quick question,
    IF there is such a thing in the philosophy forum...

How would you define spirituality, whether it be religious or non-religious? Is it a intellectual experience or an emotional? Or both?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

A dictionary would define spirituality as a religious concept, but I believe it to be quite different and feel the dictionary needs a serious update on the defintion (that's besides the point however :smile: ).

A favorite quote I read once:
    Religion is for those who fear going to hell
    Spirituality is for those who have been there.

I define spirituality as a sort of an individualized philosophy shaped by personal experiences that yield a perspective unique to that individual. The individual is able to recognize this and can share their philosophy, however understands that each much have their own ultimately. Religion tends to place a perspective that "one size fits all", thus all must follow the beliefs set forth, regardless of individual experiences.

4. Dec 30, 2004 #3
    What about upbringing and external values? Would you consider those personal experiences?

I've always thought of spirituality as something religious. However, in reading Kerrie's definition of it, I am able to see a non-religious side to it.

5. Dec 30, 2004 #4
    I think spirituality is an explanation for the feelings we can not explain. God given ones that come from the sole.

6. Dec 30, 2004 #5
    IN regards to Pikapika's responce:

How would you define it in a Non-religous sense? IF not then what is the soul and how does it relate to spiriuality?

7. Dec 31, 2004 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

that is where religion/morals fall into place. i would consider the external values more of a "group" set standard since values tend to have some sort of an effect on other people. this is only my opinion however
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?