Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spirograph: 3D

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I'm sure that most of you are familiar with Spirograph. You could make all kinds of neat patterns with it.

Well, the other day I was doing some playing around with my ray-tracer (POV-Ray), and after a while I came up with something that reminded me of one of those Spirogragh drawings (except in this case it was plotted in three dimensions). So I started to do some experimenting and came up with the following:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These next two are a little different, as they do not follow the typical spirograph format, but I thought they were interesting enough to include.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

Tsu

Gold Member

That looks like FUN!! :biggrin:

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Very cool Janus! I miss my spirograph now. :frown:

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4
    You could probably do 3-d atoms with that. Give us an Fe atom. That should be a challenge.

6. Aug 9, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, so cool! My fascination with trigonometry began when we started plotting graphs of equations and I discovered they looked like spirograph patterns. :biggrin: Suddenly math was really exciting!

I miss my spirograph! Do kids still play with those?

7. Aug 10, 2005 #6
    Ive never even heard of such a thing :/
    Ill google it in a second though....
    So what was it about?

EDIT:thebeginning Nevermind :biggrin:
    I have one of those, just found out that it was a spirograph thing :rofl: :!!)

EDIT2:the pen came back
    http://www.goriya.com/java/spirograph/spirograph.shtml
    woot, I was actually looking for that program a while ago :bugeye:

EDIT3:return of the spiro

EHH, that one sucks, I need to find the program I had earlier which actually traced it :grumpy:

EDIT4:moreedits?

AHHH, ok, my real physical spirograph>all these crappy computer program spirographs :yuck:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  8. Aug 10, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I had one, but I'm only a few years younger than you. They were quite hypnotic.

9. Aug 10, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got a Spirograph somewhere. My sister sat on the box though, so lots of the pens are missing. Bint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?