Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy

In summary, the conversation discussed a proof in Spivak's calculus that contained an error. The error was identified as dividing both sides by a quantity that happened to be zero, causing the proof to be invalid. The conversation also clarified that subtracting the same amount from both sides of an equation is not a problem, but dividing by zero can lead to errors.
sponsoredwalk
Hi, I've gotten Spivak's calculus and I have a question on the second proof in the first chapter

What is wrong with the following "proof"?

suppose x=y

1. x² = xy

2. x² - y²= xy - y²

3. (x + y)(x - y)=y(x - y)

4. x + y=y

5. 2y = y

6. 2 = 1

I just want to clarify that the error is in the transition from step three to step four as subtracting both sides by (x - y) is to subtract by zero as if x=y then x -y = 0.

Step two is also saying that 0 = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
sponsoredwalk said:
Hi, I've gotten Spivak's calculus and I have a question on the second proof in the first chapter

What is wrong with the following "proof"?

suppose x=y

1. x² = xy

2. x² - y²= xy - y²

3. (x + y)(x - y)=y(x - y)

4. x + y=y

5. 2y = y

6. 2 = 1

I just want to clarify that the error is in the transition from step three to step four as subtracting both sides by (x - y) is to subtract by zero as if x=y then x -y = 0.
No, that's not it at all. You have correctly identified the step that is incorrect, but not the reason. What they have done in going from step 3 to step 4 is to divide by x - y, not subtract x - y. There is never a problem subtracting the same amount from both sides of an equation, but you can run into problems by dividing both sides by a quantity that happens to be zero.
sponsoredwalk said:
Step two is also saying that 0 = 0.

Sorry I meant divide, misuse of language. Good to hear I got it, Spivak doesn't seem so difficult now :tongue:

- foolish last words

1. What is the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy?

The Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy is a mathematical fallacy that attempts to prove that 2 equals 1 using algebraic manipulation. It is named after mathematician Michael Spivak who popularized it in his book "Calculus" in 1967.

2. How does the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy work?

The Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy uses the fact that any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1 and then manipulates algebraic equations to make it seem like 2 is equal to 1. However, this ignores the fact that division by 0 is undefined and leads to an incorrect conclusion.

3. Why is the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy incorrect?

The Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy is incorrect because it relies on manipulating equations without considering the rules of mathematics. Division by 0 is undefined and cannot be used to make conclusions about equality between numbers.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy?

No, the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy has no practical applications and is only used as a mathematical exercise or a cautionary example of how easily one can arrive at false conclusions by ignoring mathematical rules.

5. How can I avoid falling for the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy?

To avoid falling for the Spivak 2=1 Proof fallacy, it is important to always follow the rules of mathematics and not make assumptions or manipulations that are not allowed. It is also helpful to double-check any mathematical proofs or equations to ensure they are logically sound.