1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Calculus on Manifolds

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    I have one question about Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds book. I have not learned directional derivatives and understand that these are left as exercises in his book, which would make one think these are not that important whereas he focuses on total derivatives or what you may name them. Therefore I am asking if it is worthwhile to pursue the topic of directional derivatives from another source or just learn solely from Spivak's book?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2
    If you would like further exercises on directional derivatives, including when they exist and why they are useful in applications, I highly recommend accompanying Spivak with https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Calculus-Linear-Algebra-Differential/dp/0130414085. It will, at the very least, concretize many of the highly theoretical exercises in Spivak.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 5, 2015 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the most important directions are the unit directions along the axes, and in this case the directional derivatives are called "partial derivatives". these are treated carefully in spivak and play a major role, since they can be calculated and give one a way both to prove the existence of the total derivative and to calculate its matrix, see theorem 2-8 of spivak. derivatives in other directions are a generalization of these partial derivatives, but they do have some independent importance, e.g. it is of interest to know in which direction a numerical valued function is increasing fastest, the "gradient" direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted