Proving x=y or x=-y from x2=y2.

In summary, the problem states that if x2=y2, then either x=y or x=-y. Using the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses, we can show that x2-y2=0, which can be factored as (x-y)(x+y)=0. This means that either (x-y)=0 or (x+y)=0, leading to the solutions x=y or x=-y.
mishima

Homework Statement

Prove that if x2=y2, then x=y or x=-y.

This is from Spivak's Calculus, problem 1(iii).

Homework Equations

Distributive law. If a, b, and c are any numbers, then a(b+c)=a*b+a*c.
Existence of additive inverse. If a is any number, then a+0=0+a.
Existence of multiplicative inverse. For every number a≠0, there is a number a-1 such that a*a-1=a-1*a=1.

The Attempt at a Solution

First by the existence of additive inverse,

x2+(-y2)=y2+(-y2)=0.

Then in an earlier problem I proved x2-y2=(x-y)(x+y) using a triple application of the distributive law and the existence of additive inverse. So,

x2-y2=0=(x-y)(x+y).

Now here's where I get uncomfortable. I want to use the existence of multiplicative inverses to do this

(x-y)-1(x-y)(x+y)=1*(x+y)=0

But multiplicative inverse has the stipulation that (x-y)≠0. So then when I do the other part

(x+y)-1(x-y)(x+y)=1*(x-y)=0

I get a contradiction. I must be making a mistake since this only shows that x=-y, right? Or is it just an exclusive "or" in the problem statement or something? Earlier he says to assume inclusive ors...

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two possibilities - x=y or x is not equal to y. If x=y you are done! That was one of the solutions you had to show is possible. If they're not equal do your division to find the other solution possibility

You can also just use the zero product property instead of imitating its proof. Recall that (x-y)(x+y)=0 implies (x-y)=0 or (x+y)=0. The proof is pretty simple from there.

1. What is the purpose of "Spivak Calculus Problem 1.iii"?

The purpose of this problem is to test the student's understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus and their ability to apply it in a specific scenario.

2. How is "Spivak Calculus Problem 1.iii" different from other calculus problems?

This problem is different because it requires the student to use their knowledge of the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve a specific scenario, rather than simply applying a formula or algorithm.

3. What is the difficulty level of "Spivak Calculus Problem 1.iii"?

This problem is considered to be of moderate difficulty. It requires a solid understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus and some critical thinking skills in order to solve it.

4. Can "Spivak Calculus Problem 1.iii" be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple approaches that can be used to solve this problem. Some may be more efficient or elegant than others, but as long as the fundamental theorem of calculus is applied correctly, the solution will be valid.

5. How can I prepare for "Spivak Calculus Problem 1.iii"?

To prepare for this problem, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus and its applications. Practice with similar problems and make sure to fully comprehend the concept before attempting this problem.