Learning Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 - Different Approaches?

• Thread starter tehdiddulator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various methods in proving problems in Spivak's Calculus edition 3. It is noted that there may be multiple ways to prove a problem, but it is important to follow the textbook's approach in order to build mathematical maturity. The conversation also mentions the importance of not using advanced theorems unless they have been previously introduced in the text.
tehdiddulator
I recently obtained a copy of Spivak' Calculus edition 3 and started going through the book. I've found that there is more than one way to prove what he is asking in his problem set and I'm wondering if this is a problem as to how he is trying to teach the subject? I would think not, but I'd like to learn his textbook how he wants it to be taught.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes, the way he wants you to do it is built upon in later chapters. Also, in the beginning of the book, many of the Properties of Numbers problems seem trivial, but he wants you to do it a certain way (possibly) using certain properties and justifying him. However, finding other ways to prove results is also very good and beneficial.

It will always build mathematical maturity to prove a result in more than one way. However, it is important to be sure that your proof is not a tautology, in that the theorems you use are implied by what you are trying to prove. Ie., in the first chapter, you should not use the binomial theorem or synthetic division, unless you can prove these theorems yourself, before they are presented in the course of the text.
In essence, he expects that you can use only the material presented in the previous chapters and exercises to work on the current exercise.

1. What is the best way to approach learning Spivak's Calculus Edition 3?

The best way to approach learning Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 is to first have a strong foundation in basic calculus concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of mathematical proofs and techniques. Additionally, it is important to work through the exercises and examples in the book to fully grasp the concepts.

2. How is Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 different from previous editions?

Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 includes updated content and exercises, as well as a new section on computational geometry. It also contains more challenging problems and a focus on mathematical proofs.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand Spivak's Calculus Edition 3?

While having a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand Spivak's Calculus Edition 3. The book is designed to be accessible to students with varying levels of mathematical knowledge. However, a willingness to learn and a strong work ethic are important for success.

4. What are some additional resources for learning Spivak's Calculus Edition 3?

Some additional resources for learning Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 include online lecture videos, study guides, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or tutor to clarify any difficult concepts.

5. How can I use Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 to prepare for advanced mathematics courses?

Spivak's Calculus Edition 3 provides a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical proofs, which are essential skills for advanced mathematics courses. By thoroughly understanding the content and completing the exercises, students will be well-prepared for future courses in mathematics and related fields.