1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Example

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am embarking to read Spivak's book on Calculus, and have come across some difficulty with something that is perhaps rather trivial. In the third edition, there is a section entitled Basic Properties of Numbers. Near the end of page 7, the author begins discussing how he will use property 9 to derive the fact that, when negative numbers are multiplied, the result is a positive number. Before this, he must show that (-a) x b = -(a x b) is true. To prove this, we must show that
    (-a) x b + a x b = [(-a) + a] x b, which I can follow. Next, he says that, because this is true, then we can add -(a x b) to both sides of the equation:

[itex](-a) \cdot b + a \cdot b + [-(a \cdot b)] = [(-a) + a] \cdot b + [-(a \cdot b)][/itex]

Clearly, the first term on the RHS of the equation will yield zero.

[itex](-a) \cdot b + a \cdot b + [-(a \cdot b)] = -(a \cdot b)[/itex]

[itex][-a + a - a] \cdot b = -(a \cdot b)[/itex]

[itex](-a) \cdot = -(a \cdot b)[/itex]

But are these steps truly valid; how I can know that, when factoring the b, the negative symbol isn't appended to the b; isn't this what I am trying to prove, that the negative symbol is appended to the a?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2
    Are those the actual steps listed in the text? The next-to-last line looks a bit suspect. It seems like it should be

##(-a)\cdot b+a\cdot b=(-a+a)\cdot b## by distributivity of multiplication over addition
    ##(-a)\cdot b+a\cdot b=0\cdot b## by definition of additive inverses
    ##(-a)\cdot b+a\cdot b=0## from results related to the definition of the additive identity and distributivity of multiplication over addition
    ##[(-a)\cdot b+a\cdot b]+(-(a\cdot b))=0+(-(a\cdot b))## because addition is well-defined as a binary operation (?)
    ##[(-a)\cdot b+a\cdot b]+(-(a\cdot b))=-(a\cdot b)## by definition of additive identity
    ##(-a)\cdot b+[a\cdot b+(-(a\cdot b))]=-(a\cdot b)## by associativity of addition
    ##(-a)\cdot b+0=-(a\cdot b)## by definition of additive inverse
    ##(-a)\cdot b=-(a\cdot b)## by definition of additive identity

It's possible that some of those steps were left out, but that's what is going on as far as I can tell.

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Oh, yes, I see now. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted