Solve Spivak Inequality for x: 0<x<1

In summary, the Spivak inequality for x can be solved using basic algebraic principles, such as isolating the variable and taking the square root of both sides. It can be solved for any value of x within the range of 0<x<1. There are no special rules or techniques for solving it, and it can be checked by substituting the solution into the original inequality or graphing it. The Spivak inequality is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Von Neumann
Question:

Find all numbers [itex]x[/itex] for which [itex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{1-x}>0[/itex].

Solution:

If [itex]\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{1-x}>0[/itex],

then [itex]\frac{1-x}{x(1-x)}+\frac{x}{x(1-x)}>0[/itex];

hence [itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)}>0[/itex].

Now we note that

[itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)} \rightarrow ∞[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex]

and [itex]\frac{1}{x(1-x)} \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow 1[/itex].

Thus, [itex]0<x<1[/itex].

Notes:

Not quite sure if that's the sort of solution Spivak is looking for in Ch.1.

Physics news on Phys.org
A non-zero number and its reciprocal will always have the same sign so [itex] \frac{1}{x(1-x)} [/itex] will be positive where [itex] x(1-x) [/itex] is

Likes 1 person
Ah, I see. Don't know how I didn't see that.

1. How do I solve the Spivak inequality for x?

The Spivak inequality for x can be solved by using basic algebraic principles. First, rearrange the inequality to isolate the variable x on one side. Then, take the square root of both sides to eliminate the exponent. Finally, evaluate the resulting inequality to find the solution for x.

2. Can the Spivak inequality be solved for any value of x?

Yes, the Spivak inequality can be solved for any value of x as long as it falls within the given range of 0

3. Are there any special rules or techniques for solving the Spivak inequality?

No, there are no special rules or techniques for solving the Spivak inequality. It can be solved using standard algebraic principles and the basic properties of exponents and logarithms.

4. How can I check my solution for the Spivak inequality?

You can check your solution for the Spivak inequality by substituting the value of x into the original inequality and verifying that the resulting statement is true. You can also graph the inequality and see if your solution falls within the shaded region.

5. Why is the Spivak inequality important?

The Spivak inequality is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that is used in many different fields, such as calculus, statistics, and physics. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.