SpivakProve x^2 - y^2 = (x-y)(x+y)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of basic properties of numbers to prove a statement. There is a question about whether to start with the left or right side of the equation, but it is mentioned that both approaches are valid. The conversation also includes a discussion about reversible operations and how they can be used to manipulate equations. One example is given where adding and subtracting the same number on both sides can help arrive at a desired expression. Ultimately, it is concluded that the proof can be approached from either side and the same solution set will be obtained.
Saladsamurai
Ok. So know that I am supposed to use one or more of the 12 basic properties of numbers from chapter 1 of Spivak's Calculus to prove this, but I can't see to figure out which one to start with.

Can someone start me off here?

Just a 'nudge.'

edit: it says to 'prove' it, not to 'show' it. How do you 'prove' this? I can't see how to even start the proof.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with the right side, (x -y)(x + y) and use the distributive property to get
(x -y)(x + y) = (x - y)(x) + (x - y)(y).
Then use the commutative property of multiplication to rewrite (x - y)(y) as y(x - y), and the same for the other product. And so on...

Eventually you'll get to x^2 - y^2 and will have justified each step along the way by one of the basic properties of real numbers.

Mark44 said:
I would start with the right side, (x -y)(x + y) and use the distributive property to get
(x -y)(x + y) = (x - y)(x) + (x - y)(y).
Then use the commutative property of multiplication to rewrite (x - y)(y) as y(x - y), and the same for the other product. And so on...

Eventually you'll get to x^2 - y^2 and will have justified each step along the way by one of the basic properties of real numbers.

See now, that's what I wanted to do and I know that is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. But I have a question about that:

Perhaps it is just some false notion that I have conjured up somewhere along the way, but I always thought that when they (the math gods) said "Prove A = B," you were supposed to start with 'A' and successively apply 'basic rules' until you arrive at 'B.'

And when they say: "Show A = B," you can just manipulate 'A' or 'B' to show that the two are equivalent.

Is this something that I have made up in my head? Or is there some truth to it?

Thank you,
Casey

'Proving' a statement and 'showing' a statement is true are the same. If you are asked to show that A=B, then you can manipulate both A and B (as long as you're using valid operations, of course). Since A=B and B=C implies that A=C, this strategy is valid.

Saladsamurai said:
Perhaps it is just some false notion that I have conjured up somewhere along the way, but I always thought that when they (the math gods) said "Prove A = B," you were supposed to start with 'A' and successively apply 'basic rules' until you arrive at 'B.'
No, you can start with either side. To elaborate on what VeeEight said, you can also start with A = B and apply reversible operations to both sides until you arrive at a new equation that has the same solution set. Because all the operations are reversible, that means that your first equation has the same solution set.

For a simple example, suppose we start with x + 2 = 8. I can add -2 to both sides (a reversible operation) to get x = 6. The solution set for the second equation is obviously {6}, and because the operation I applied was one-to-one, and therefore invertible, the first equation's solution set is also {6}.

On the other hand, if the operation is not reversible, then the solution sets of the starting and ending equations do not have to be the same. Starting with x = -2, and squaring both sides, I get x2 = 4. The solution set of this equation is {2, -2}, while that of the original equation is {-2}. The squaring operation is not reversible, for the same reason that the function f(x) = x2 is not 1-to-1.

Okay. Thanks Mark44 and VeeEight :smile:

That is very helpful to know! I had a piece of paper in front of me that just had:

x^2 - y^2 =

written on it and I was trying to find a way to apply basic properties of numbers to this expression such that I would naturally 'arrive at' (x - y)(x + y). :redface:

Saladsamurai said:
Okay. Thanks Mark44 and VeeEight :smile:

That is very helpful to know! I had a piece of paper in front of me that just had:

x^2 - y^2 =

written on it and I was trying to find a way to apply basic properties of numbers to this expression such that I would naturally 'arrive at' (x - y)(x + y). :redface:

I did that problem starting with just that.

x2 - y2 = x2 - xy + xy -y2

x(x - y) + y(x - y) = (x-y)(x+y)

If you work it through from the side with (x - y)(x + y), it makes the "trick" of subtracting and adding xy more understandable. Obviously, you can work it from either end.

Mark44 said:
If you work it through from the side with (x - y)(x + y), it makes the "trick" of subtracting and adding xy more understandable. Obviously, you can work it from either end.

How would you start it from the LHS? What basic property can you apply such that:

x2-y2=x2+xy-xy+y2 ?

I am missing how one logically deduces the RHS from the LHS?

How did you arrive at that l'hopital? Without just knowing that the two are equivalent...

i think you dropped a sign somewhere, but i would go as follows
x2- y2 = x2- y2 + 0 = x2 - y2 + ((xy)+ -(xy)) = x2 + xy - xy - y2

but as I think Mark was pointing out, all the steps you took working from RHS to LHS are perfectly valid in the opposite direction

Saladsamurai said:
How would you start it from the LHS? What basic property can you apply such that:

x2-y2=x2+xy-xy+y2 ?

I am missing how one logically deduces the RHS from the LHS?

How did you arrive at that l'hopital? Without just knowing that the two are equivalent...

x2 - y2
x2 - y2 + 0
x2 - y2 + (xy -xy)
... and so on

lanedance said:
i think you dropped a sign somewhere, but i would go as follows
x2- y2 = x2- y2 + 0 = x2 - y2 + ((xy)+ -(xy)) = x2 + xy - xy - y2

but as I think Mark was pointing out, all the steps you took working from RHS to LHS are perfectly valid in the opposite direction

Oh jeesh...how do you guys come up with this stuff?! Who would ever think to do that? I mean...I guess you would :smile: But seriously...Thanks!

And yes, I missed a '-' sign.EDIT: And apparently l'hopital would think to do that. It seems that I missed the memo about randomly adding zero to expressions :rofl:

zero is often pretty good to use in these types of proofs as you an turn it into a sum or multiplication with almost anything to help

lanedance said:
zero is often pretty good to use in these types of proofs as you an turn it into a sum or multiplication with almost anything to help

Thank you. I will need to hold onto these tricks and learn start thinking a little differently if I am to make it through this text by the time classes start up again.

Not only is adding zero a good technique to remember, it's one of a very few things you can do to just one side of an equation, with others being multiplying by 1 in some form, simplifying, and expanding.

Mark44 said:
Not only is adding zero a good technique to remember, it's one of a very few things you can do to just one side of an equation, with others being multiplying by 1 in some form, simplifying, and expanding.

Great point! I never thought of it that way.

1. What is the purpose of proving x^2 - y^2 = (x-y)(x+y)?

The purpose of proving this equation is to show that it is a valid and true mathematical relationship that holds for all values of x and y. This proof provides a deeper understanding of the properties of exponents and how they relate to each other.

2. How can this equation be proven?

This equation can be proven using algebraic manipulation and the properties of exponents. By expanding the right side of the equation and simplifying, it can be shown to be equivalent to the left side.

3. What is the significance of (x-y)(x+y) in this equation?

The significance of (x-y)(x+y) in this equation is that it is a factorization of the left side. This means that the left side can be written as the product of (x-y) and (x+y), which can help with simplifying more complex equations.

4. Can this equation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, this equation can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving quadratic equations and to understand the relationships between different variables.

5. Are there any other proofs for this equation?

Yes, there are other proofs for this equation using different mathematical techniques, such as geometric proofs or proofs by induction. However, the algebraic proof is the most commonly used and easiest to understand.