Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spline degree?

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    Spline degree??

Dear all:
    I have been read a few definition of the degree of a bezier spline. But I still do not understand what's the exact meaning of it. As I understand, if the spline function is n-differentiable then it's of degree n-1. Is this correct? Another way is that if the control point position is determined by n neighbours of the previous level then the spline curve is of degree n-1.

Am I understanding correct?

Could anyone give me some more straight-forward and easy understandable explanations please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the spline is n-differentiable isn't the degree n+1, not n-1?

I may be thinking of a different "degree". A spline is a piece-wise polynomial such that a certain number of derivatives are continuous. Of course, that depends completely upon the degree of the polynomial since the higher degree gives you more constants to match. A "degree 1" spline is a "broken line" that is continuous but not differentiable at all. A "degree 2" spline is a piecewise quadratic function that is continuous and has continuous derivative at the knots but not second derivative. A "degree-3" (cubic) spline is piecwise cubic, having continuous second derivative at the knots.
  4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    If the spline is n-differentiable isn't the degree n+1, not n-1?

Yes you are right. It's quite helpful. Thank you.

But another problem is what's the relation between the degree of the spline with the subdivision matrix S?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?