Can Splinters and Fillings Join the Bloodstream?

• Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin Stuck
In summary, if you have fillings (such as from iron dusts or carbon fiber) stuck in your skin, it is unlikely to join with your blood flow. The natural shedding process of the skin would eventually push it outwards until it is shed. However, if they have penetrated deep into or beyond the skin, then it is possible that they can be taken up into the bloodstream. If the particles are substantially larger than the bodies ability to filter them out, then they are unlikely to be able to flow through the capillaries in the liver and kidneys. These would simply get stuck somewhere until broken down by natural chemical reactions. Or if they are very stable compounds that don't easily break down then they would simply stay put
kiki_danc
If you have fillings (such as from iron dusts or carbon fiber) stuck in your skin? would it eventually join with your blood flow? What is the filter system of the blood where it couldn't accept the smallest particle and how big is the particle? Imagine iron dust filling or 1 carbon fiber flowing in the blood.. can this happen?

Biology news on Phys.org
kiki_danc said:
If you have fillings (such as from iron dusts or carbon fiber) stuck in your skin? would it eventually join with your blood flow?

In most cases, no. The natural shedding process of the skin would eventually push it outwards until it is shed. However if they have penetrated deep into or beyond the skin, then it is possible that they can be taken up into the bloodstream.

kiki_danc said:
What is the filter system of the blood where it couldn't accept the smallest particle and how big is the particle? Imagine iron dust filling or 1 carbon fiber flowing in the blood.. can this happen?

If the particles are substantially larger than the bodies ability to filter them out, then they are unlikely to be able to flow through the capillaries in the liver and kidneys. These would simply get stuck somewhere until broken down by natural chemical reactions. Or if they are very stable compounds that don't easily break down then they would simply stay put, possibly causing a problem if the immune system recognizes the material as foreign and attempts to partition it off.

Likes kiki_danc
Drakkith said:
In most cases, no. The natural shedding process of the skin would eventually push it outwards until it is shed. However if they have penetrated deep into or beyond the skin, then it is possible that they can be taken up into the bloodstream.
If the particles are substantially larger than the bodies ability to filter them out, then they are unlikely to be able to flow through the capillaries in the liver and kidneys. These would simply get stuck somewhere until broken down by natural chemical reactions. Or if they are very stable compounds that don't easily break down then they would simply stay put, possibly causing a problem if the immune system recognizes the material as foreign and attempts to partition it off.

If the splinter is not.deep.enough and just imbedded into skin with a initial puncture. I wonder how deep before anaerobic environment can produce tetanus?

Not taking any chances.. I went to the ER and get anti-tetanus shot.. my cousin doctor told me not to take the Tetanus Toxoid and Immunglobulin simultaneous as they can contradict each other.. so I just took the TIG (Tetanus Anti-Immunoglobulin) and would get the Tetanus Toxoid a months from now.

The ER doctor couldn't see the splinter because it's too small and they didn't remove it and just saying it may just come out. But I don't want the spores to continue living in my skin. I went to a store and tried their magnifying glass.. it's only 3X and not clear enough.

Does anyone know if there is a 10X or 20X magnifying glass or if I get a microscope.. can I see the splinter up close in my skin? A tweezer may be rough to get it out.. what is the instrument that can hold a few microns of splinters and take it out?

PF cannot provide medical advice. If the physician you saw was not concerned, you should not be concerned as well. Thread closed

Likes russ_watters

What are splinters and how do they get stuck in skin?

Splinters are small, sharp fragments of wood, glass, metal, or other materials that can get embedded in the skin. They can enter the skin through a variety of ways, such as from handling wood, walking barefoot, or accidentally touching broken objects.

What are the symptoms of a splinter stuck in skin?

The most common symptom is pain or discomfort at the site of the splinter. You may also notice redness, swelling, and possibly a small puncture wound where the splinter entered the skin. In some cases, you may be able to see the splinter itself.

How do you remove a splinter stuck in skin?

If the splinter is protruding from the skin, you can use clean tweezers to gently grasp it and pull it out in the same direction it entered the skin. If the splinter is not visible or is deeply embedded, it is best to see a medical professional for removal to avoid further damage to the skin.

What should I do after removing a splinter?

After removing the splinter, wash the affected area with soap and water to prevent infection. Apply antibiotic ointment and cover with a bandage if the skin is broken. If the splinter was not fully removed, watch for signs of infection, such as increasing pain, redness, or drainage, and seek medical attention if necessary.

Can splinters cause any complications?

In most cases, splinters do not cause any serious complications. However, if the splinter is not removed properly or if the wound becomes infected, it can lead to more serious issues. It is important to thoroughly clean the area and seek medical attention if there are any concerns.