Understanding the Effect of Applied Magnetic Field on SQUIDs in Circuit QED

In summary, the SQUID has a problem because the total phase difference around the loop must be an integer multiple of 2\pi. The flux due to the applied magnetic field must be divided by this total phase difference to get the flux quantum. The sum of the finite phase differences across the links must be zero mod 2 pi.
maximus123
Hello everyone, here is my problem
Consider the SQUID shown in the figure (figure is attached to this post if it helps). The loop is made of a
superconducting metal and the superconducting phase must be single-valued
at every point. This means that the total phase difference around the loop
must be an integer multiple of 2[itex]\pi[/itex]. i.e
[itex]\Delta\phi_{tot}=2n\pi\\[/itex]
and

[itex]\\\Delta\phi_{tot}=\Delta\phi_{a}+\Delta\phi_{b}+\Delta\phi_{I}+ \Delta \phi_{B}\\[/itex]​
[itex]\Delta\phi_{a}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta\phi_{b}[/itex] are the phase differences across the junctions a and b, while [itex]\Delta\phi_{I}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta\phi_{B}[/itex] are the phase differences due to the circulating current I and applied magnetic field B respectively. However in circuit QED, the SQUIDs usually have a
small intrinsic inductance. Thus the phase difference [itex]\Delta\phi_{I}[/itex] is negligible.

Explain why [itex]\Delta\phi_{B}[/itex] can be written as
[itex]\Delta\phi_{B}=2\pi\frac{\Phi}{\Phi_{0}}[/itex]​
Where [itex]\Phi[/itex] is the flux due to the applied magnetic field and [itex]\Phi_{0} [/itex] is the flux quantum where
[itex]\Phi_{0}=\frac{h}{2e}[/itex]​
I'm not sure where to start with this problem, I suppose if the phase difference due to the circulating current is negligible then the total phase difference can be written
[itex]\Delta\phi_{tot}=\Delta\phi_{a}+\Delta\phi_{b}+ \Delta \phi_{B}[/itex]​
In our notes we also have it that
[itex]V=\frac{\Phi_{0}}{2\pi}\dot{\delta}[/itex]​
Where [itex]\delta[/itex] is the difference between the superconducting phase in the
two electrodes. Which seems like it must be relevant due to the similarity with the intended final result

Any help on how to go about this problem would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
You must relate the phase to the vector potential A, where B = curl(A). This will include a factor of the flux quantum and 2 pi. Then you can do a line integral of A around the loop to get the total flux. Argue that the sum of the finite phase differences across the links must be zero mod 2 pi. You will find that the sum of the gauge-invariant phase differences is what you're looking for. A good reference is Tinkham's book on superconductivity, specifically chapter six section four. Your library should have it, or you can buy it for around $15 I think.

Thank you, this helped.

1. What is a Split Josephson Junction?

A Split Josephson Junction is a type of superconducting device that consists of two superconducting electrodes separated by a non-superconducting barrier. The structure of the junction allows for the flow of supercurrent through the barrier, making it an important component in superconducting circuits.

2. How does a Split Josephson Junction work?

A Split Josephson Junction works based on the principles of quantum mechanics. When a voltage is applied across the junction, supercurrent can flow through the barrier, allowing for the transfer of information or energy between the electrodes. The junction operates at very low temperatures, typically below 4 Kelvin, to maintain superconductivity.

3. What are the applications of Split Josephson Junctions?

Split Josephson Junctions have a wide range of applications in various fields, including quantum computing, high-speed electronics, and metrology. They are also used in research to study the properties of superconductors and the Josephson effect.

4. What are the advantages of using Split Josephson Junctions?

Split Josephson Junctions have several advantages, including high-speed and low-power operation, high sensitivity, and low noise. They also have the ability to switch between superconducting and non-superconducting states, making them useful for digital logic circuits.

5. How are Split Josephson Junctions fabricated?

Split Josephson Junctions are typically fabricated using thin-film deposition techniques, such as sputtering or evaporation, to create the superconducting electrodes and the non-superconducting barrier. The dimensions of the junction, including the thickness of the barrier, are critical in determining the junction's properties and performance.