1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Split Josephson Junction

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone, here is my problem
    I'm not sure where to start with this problem, I suppose if the phase difference due to the circulating current is negligible then the total phase difference can be written
    [itex]\Delta\phi_{tot}=\Delta\phi_{a}+\Delta\phi_{b}+ \Delta \phi_{B}[/itex]​
    In our notes we also have it that
    [itex]V=\frac{\Phi_{0}}{2\pi}\dot{\delta}[/itex]​
    Where [itex]\delta[/itex] is the difference between the superconducting phase in the
    two electrodes. Which seems like it must be relevant due to the similarity with the intended final result

Any help on how to go about this problem would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2014 #2
    You must relate the phase to the vector potential A, where B = curl(A). This will include a factor of the flux quantum and 2 pi. Then you can do a line integral of A around the loop to get the total flux. Argue that the sum of the finite phase differences across the links must be zero mod 2 pi. You will find that the sum of the gauge-invariant phase differences is what you're looking for. A good reference is Tinkham's book on superconductivity, specifically chapter six section four. Your library should have it, or you can buy it for around $15 I think.

4. Mar 17, 2014 #3
    Thank you, this helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted