Split Kinetic and Potential Term in Action in Independt. Var

In summary: Your Name] In summary, MJ is looking for a coordinate transformation for the expression S=T+V that will allow them to write it as a linear function of t without higher orders. They have attempted to scale the x's but run into issues with the third component in T. They are seeking advice on finding a better transformation, and one suggestion is to use a different scaling factor for the third component. Another suggestion is to try a transformation involving the tau's and t's.
junt

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have the following expression:

$$S=T+V$$

$$T=\frac{m}{\tau_0+it}((x_1-x_0)^2+(x_2-x_1)^2)+\frac{m}{2(\tau_1-it)}(x_2-x_0)^2$$

$$V= \frac{(\tau_0+it)}{2}(\frac{k_0 x_0}{2}+\frac{k_0 x_2}{2}+k_0 x_1)+(\tau_1-it)(\frac{k_1 x_0}{2}+\frac{k_1 x_2}{2})$$

The main goal is to find a coordinate transformation such that I can write my S as being linear in t. t should not have none of the higher orders.

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried to scale my x's by $$\sqrt{\tau_0+it}\sqrt{\tau_1-it}$$ This allows me to separate component in T into those containing tau's and t's. For me the important component is the ones with t's. This scaling will lead to components like the following that involves t:

$$T= ... + it((x_1-x_0)^2+(x_2-x_1)^2-\frac{1}{2}(x_2-x_0))$$

Now this is bad because of the (-) sign in the third component. If I could get rid of (-) sign and get rid of the factor 1/2, I could simply do another coordinate transformation called normal mode (q-coordinate) transformation, and write this T part as $$..+i t(q_1^2+q_2^2)$$ I can then choose final variable q_0 such that it is contained in V part.

At the end I want to end up with something like:

$$S=g(\tau_0,\tau_1,x_0,x_1,x_2)+ it(f(\tau_0,\tau_1,x_0,x_1,x_2))$$

where g and f are real function of those variables.

Does anyone know of a better coordinate transformation to achieve this form? I would really appreciate it.

MJ

P.S: For those curious, this is an imaginary time action of a particle in linear potential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear MJ,

Thank you for sharing your expression and your attempt at finding a coordinate transformation. It seems like you have already made some progress in separating out the components containing t. However, as you have pointed out, the third component in T causes some issues with your desired form.

One possible solution could be to use a different scaling factor for the third component. For example, instead of $\sqrt{\tau_0+it}$, you could try using $\sqrt{\tau_0+it}\sqrt{\tau_1-it}\sqrt{2}$. This would cancel out the factor of 1/2 and give you a positive sign for the third component. You can then proceed with your normal mode transformation to obtain your desired form.

Another approach could be to use a different coordinate transformation altogether. Instead of scaling the x's, you could try a transformation that involves the tau's and t's. For example, you could try using $q_0=\sqrt{\tau_0+it}$ and $q_1=\sqrt{\tau_1-it}$. This would give you a form similar to what you desire, with the only difference being that the t coefficient in front of the second term would be complex. However, this should not affect your final results as long as you are only interested in the real part of S.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Good luck with your research!

What is the definition of "Split Kinetic and Potential Term in Action in Independent Variable"?

Split Kinetic and Potential Term in Action in Independent Variable refers to the separation of the total energy of a system into its kinetic and potential components in relation to an independent variable, such as time or position. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often used to analyze the behavior of physical systems.

How do you calculate the kinetic energy component in a split kinetic and potential term?

The kinetic energy component is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity, and then dividing by 2. This can be represented by the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

What does the potential energy component represent in a split kinetic and potential term?

The potential energy component represents the energy that is stored in an object due to its position or state. It is often associated with the force acting on the object and can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

What are some real-world examples of a split kinetic and potential term in action?

One example is a pendulum, where the kinetic energy component is highest at the bottom of the swing, while the potential energy component is highest at the top. Another example is a roller coaster, where the kinetic energy component is highest at the bottom of the hill, while the potential energy component is highest at the top of the hill.

How is the split kinetic and potential term used in the study of mechanics?

The split kinetic and potential term is used to analyze the motion and behavior of objects in relation to the forces acting on them. It helps to understand how energy is transferred and conserved in different physical systems, and is an important concept in the study of mechanics and other branches of physics.