1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Splitting a wave

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how do u split a resultant wave(formed by interference of many)into its constiuent waves?(practically){not light,i'm actually thinking of sound,beats}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried to use the fourier series,and split it into sine and cosine waves.how do u do it practically???

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

if its a light wave with different frequency components, a prism or diffraction grating would do the trick.... or 2 mirrors a tunable distance apart to pick out frequencies

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    no sir,i'm actually thinking of sound and beats formed

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok - so do you mean mathematically? or experimentally...

maybe if you show what you tried, it will help me understand :)

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5
    like the one inthe fig attached.how do u split these waves experimentally?what about the ones that have no order,say like the group wave associated with an electron.i tried to use fourier series to get periodical sine and cosine waves.but i dont know how to do it experimentally.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook