Splitting and recombining laser beams

In summary, the intensities of the two split laser beams can range from 6.25 to 30.25 when recombined. This is found by taking the square root of the intensities (16 and 2.25) and multiplying them by the constant k, then adding them together to get the maximum intensity, and subtracting them to get the minimum intensity.
titan81

Homework Statement

Coherent light from a laser is split into two beams with intensities 16I0 and 2.25I0, respectively. What is the range of possible light intensities when the beams are recombined?

Homework Equations

A = sqrt(I)k; I = (A/k)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

A1 = sqrt(16)k = 4k; A2 = sqrt(2.25)k = 1.5k
sum = 5.5k ==> Imax = (5.5k/k)^2 = 30.25
difference = 2.5k ==> Imin = (2.5k/k)^2 = 6.25

Nevermind I figured the problem out.
Thanks to anyone that viewed the question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Great job on figuring out the solution! It's important for scientists to be able to understand and solve problems like this, as it can lead to important discoveries and advancements in the field. Keep up the good work!

1. What is splitting and recombining of laser beams?

Splitting and recombining of laser beams is a technique used in optics to divide a single laser beam into multiple beams and then recombine them back into a single beam. This allows for multiple beams to be manipulated and directed independently.

2. How is splitting and recombining of laser beams achieved?

This technique is achieved using a device called a beam splitter, which consists of a partially reflective surface that splits the incident laser beam into two or more beams. These beams can then be manipulated and recombined using mirrors and lenses.

3. What are the applications of splitting and recombining of laser beams?

Splitting and recombining of laser beams has various applications in fields such as telecommunications, spectroscopy, and laser interferometry. It is also commonly used in laser printing, laser cutting, and laser scanning technologies.

4. What are the advantages of splitting and recombining of laser beams?

One of the main advantages of this technique is the ability to manipulate multiple beams independently, which allows for greater control and precision. It also increases the efficiency of laser systems and reduces the need for multiple lasers.

5. Are there any limitations of splitting and recombining of laser beams?

One limitation is that the beams may interfere with each other, causing interference patterns and reducing the overall beam intensity. Additionally, this technique may be limited by the power and coherence of the laser beam being split and recombined.