1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Splitting fields

1. Jan 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is from my text.

a)show that the splitting field of (x^4)-5 over Q is Q(5^(1/4), i).
    b)show that [Q(5^(1/4), i): Q = 8].
    c)what is the order of the galois group of (x^4)-5 over Q?

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't yet thought about b) and c). For a),

edit2: I have no clue how to show this. I originally thought it would be easy simply by showing the I can rewrite the polynomial into factors t(x-c1)(x-c2), where t is some constant and the cs are the given solutions, stated in the splitting field. I couldn't do it. I still have some practicing to do, but I would love any help (if any). thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

A splitting field of f(x) is a field extension in which f(x) reduces to linear factors, ie, splits, and such that it splits in no proper subfield. So to show a given field extension is a splitting field, show it contains all the roots of f(x), and that these roots generate the field extension (do you see how this is equivalent to what I said above?).

4. Jan 23, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What can't you do it? If you are working problems about splitting fields and Galois groups, certainly you learned long ago that (x2- a2)= (x- a)(x+ a)!

[tex]x^4- 5= (x^2)^2- (\sqrt{5})^2= (x^2- \sqrt{5})(x^2+ \sqrt{5})[/tex]
    [tex]x^2- \sqrt{5}= x^2- (^4\sqrt{5})^2= (x- 5^{\frac{1}{4}})(x+ 5^{\frac{1}{4}})[/tex]
    and
    [tex]x^2+ \sqrt{5}= x^2- (^4\sqrt{5}i)^2= (x- i5^{\frac{1}{4}})(x+ i5^{\frac{1}{4}})[/tex]

5. Jan 23, 2007 #4
    Thank you. I don't know why I tend to forget my basics. Perhaps that is my tragic flaw. Nothing seems to be retained anymore. I should rethink my studying strategies. Thanks again.

EDIT: and sometimes I get flustered by thinking a question is too complex, that I do not know where to start reasoning. Not sure...just lately with algebra...i feel lost. I'll be sure to post better questions next time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  6. Jan 23, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Abstract algebra is a tough course. Hang in there and "practice, practice, practice"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?