1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Splitting of Balmer Spectrum

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    I need to show the splitting of the [itex]H_{\alpha}[/itex] line of the Balmer series of a Hydrogen atom using the spin hypothesis.

Here is my work on this.
    [itex]H_{\alpha}[/itex] is obtained from the transition of the electron from the third orbit to the second i.e. from n=3 to n=2.
    Seletion rule for Hydrogen atom is: [itex]\Delta l = \pm 1[/itex] & [itex]\Delta m_l = \pm 1 , 0[/itex].
    This implies transition from 3s to 2s is forbidden but transition from 3p to 2s is allowed. How do I explain the splitting of the spectral line?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to do perturbation theory to the H atom using the spin-orbit coupling hamiltonian which should be assumed to be a time independent perturbation. One more thing: is the energy level involved in a H_alpha degenerate or not ?

Daniel.

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3
    I haven't studied perturbation theory. I cannot say whether the energy level of Halpha is degenerate. They can involve transition from 3 2P1/2 or 3 2P3/2.

However, since the Hydrogen atom consists of only 1 electron, so s = +1/2 or -1/2. Is it possible to show the splitting using spin hypothesis?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?