Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Splitting of Balmer Spectrum

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    I need to show the splitting of the [itex]H_{\alpha}[/itex] line of the Balmer series of a Hydrogen atom using the spin hypothesis.

Here is my work on this.
    [itex]H_{\alpha}[/itex] is obtained from the transition of the electron from the third orbit to the second i.e. from n=3 to n=2.
    Seletion rule for Hydrogen atom is: [itex]\Delta l = \pm 1[/itex] & [itex]\Delta m_l = \pm 1 , 0[/itex].
    This implies transition from 3s to 2s is forbidden but transition from 3p to 2s is allowed. How do I explain the splitting of the spectral line?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to do perturbation theory to the H atom using the spin-orbit coupling hamiltonian which should be assumed to be a time independent perturbation. One more thing: is the energy level involved in a H_alpha degenerate or not ?

Daniel.

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3
    I haven't studied perturbation theory. I cannot say whether the energy level of Halpha is degenerate. They can involve transition from 3 2P1/2 or 3 2P3/2.

However, since the Hydrogen atom consists of only 1 electron, so s = +1/2 or -1/2. Is it possible to show the splitting using spin hypothesis?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook