Is it valid to split the derivative in deriving the equation for e_s(T)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Separation of Variables in deriving the equation for e_s(T). While some may consider it a shortcut, it is a widely accepted technique in physics and engineering. A more rigorous approach involves treating e_s as a function of T and integrating using the differential of e_s.
KingBigness

Homework Statement

From
[itex]\frac{de_{s}}{dT} = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}} [/itex]

derive

[itex] e_{s}(T) = 6.11 e^{\frac{L}{RV}(\frac{1}{T}-\frac{1}{273})} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The way my lecturer derived it was he 'split' the derivative and took them to their respective sides and integrated.

So he got

[itex] \frac{de_{s}}{e_{s}} = \frac{LdT}{R_{v}T^{2}} [/itex]

However I was under the impression that you can't 'split' a derivative like that. Is this just a shortcut some physicists take to make the maths more simple? If it is what is the correct way of deriving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious3141 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_variables

It's not just "physicist's shorthand", it's a well-worn technique called Separation of Variables. Some might balk at the notation, but it's generally accepted and makes life easier.

How accepted is it? I am doing a double degree in pure mathematics and physics. If I was to do this in my pure maths classes would I be stoned?

KingBigness said:
How accepted is it? I am doing a double degree in pure mathematics and physics. If I was to do this in my pure maths classes would I be stoned?

I've taken calculus 1 and I've seen it before? :s

iRaid said:
I've taken calculus 1 and I've seen it before? :s

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I have seen it before and done it countless times I just always have a memory of a teacher saying don't tell a pure mathematician about it.

KingBigness said:

Homework Statement

From
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{de_{s}}{dT} = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}} [/itex]

derive

[itex]\displaystyle e_{s}(T) = 6.11 e^{\frac{L}{RV}(\frac{1}{T}-\frac{1}{273})} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The way my lecturer derived it was he 'split' the derivative and took them to their respective sides and integrated.

So he got

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{de_{s}}{e_{s}} = \frac{LdT}{R_{v}T^{2}} [/itex]

However, I was under the impression that you can't 'split' a derivative like that. Is this just a shortcut some physicists take to make the maths more simple? If it is what is the correct way of deriving this?
In my experience, physicists & engineers are notorious for treating Leibniz's notation for the derivative as if it were a fraction.

A more rigorous handling of this derivative equation might be as follows:
Treating es as a function of T we have

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dT}(e_{s}) = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}}[/itex]

Rewriting this equation gives us

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{e_{s}}\frac{d}{dT}(e_{s}) = \frac{L}{R_{v}T^{2}} [/itex]

Integrating w.r.t. T gives

[itex]\displaystyle \int {\frac{1}{e_{s}}\frac{d}{dT}(e_{s})}dT = \int{\frac{L}{R_{v}T^{2}}}dT [/itex]

We can rewrite the integral on the left hand side.

[itex]\displaystyle \int {\frac{1}{e_{s}}\frac{d}{dT}(e_{s})}dT = \int {\frac{1}{e_{s}}}\,de_{s}[/itex]​

Alternatively, if [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dT}(e_{s}) = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}}\,,[/itex]
then the differential of es is given by [itex]\displaystyle d\,e_{s} = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}}\,dT[/itex]

SammyS said:
In my experience, physicists & engineers are notorious for treating Leibniz's notation for the derivative as if it were a fraction.

A more rigorous handling of this derivative equation might be as follows:
Treating es as a function of T we have

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dT}(e_{s}) = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}}[/itex]

Rewriting this equation gives us

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{e_{s}}\frac{d}{dT}(e_{s}) = \frac{L}{R_{v}T^{2}} [/itex]

Integrating w.r.t. T gives

[itex]\displaystyle \int {\frac{1}{e_{s}}\frac{d}{dT}(e_{s})}dT = \int{\frac{L}{R_{v}T^{2}}}dT [/itex]

We can rewrite the integral on the left hand side.

[itex]\displaystyle \int {\frac{1}{e_{s}}\frac{d}{dT}(e_{s})}dT = \int {\frac{1}{e_{s}}}\,de_{s}[/itex]​

Alternatively, if [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dT}(e_{s}) = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}}\,,[/itex]
then the differential of es is given by [itex]\displaystyle d\,e_{s} = \frac{L_{v}e_{s}}{R_{v}T^{2}}\,dT[/itex]

exactly what I wanted. thank you

What is "splitting the derivative"?

Splitting the derivative is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex functions by breaking them into multiple simpler functions and taking their individual derivatives.

Why is "splitting the derivative" useful?

"Splitting the derivative" is useful because it allows us to apply simpler derivative rules to more complex functions, making them easier to solve and understand.

What are the steps involved in "splitting the derivative"?

The steps for "splitting the derivative" are as follows: 1) Break the function into simpler functions using algebraic techniques, 2) Take the derivative of each individual function, 3) Combine the derivatives using algebraic rules, and 4) Simplify the resulting expression.

Can "splitting the derivative" be used on any function?

Yes, "splitting the derivative" can be used on any function, as long as it can be broken down into simpler functions and each individual function can be differentiated.

Are there any limitations to using "splitting the derivative"?

One limitation of "splitting the derivative" is that it can only be used for functions that can be broken down into simpler functions. It also may not always result in a simpler expression or provide a solution to the original function.