Fun Brain Games to Kill Time When You're Bored

In summary: He could reach the 15th floor button with an umbrella or cane.In summary, the conversation includes suggestions for number and thinking games to play when bored, such as mental math and measuring objects with body parts. It also includes a game called "sevens" and a riddle about a man taking the elevator to the 20th floor.
SpitfireAce
Does anyone know of any good number games or thinking games (i.e. tic-tac-toe) to kill time when you're bored? Something that doesn't even require a pen and paper if possible...

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a nap.

I do math problems in my head. Add fractions with different denominators, find prime factors, that sort of thing.

I only resort to that if I am both bored and in discomfort or pain, such as when I am at the dentist's office, or having the stomach flu. It definitely let's you meditate through the moment, but I try not to do too much of it, or else I want to vomit. =/

Vomit? No way. It's very relaxing. It's how I fall asleep at night, too.

I don't know, but it feels like when I have "too much of one thing" I want to vomit. This can come from counting dots on the ceiling when I'm in waiting at the DMV or something, adding numbers because I'm bored, stuff like that. It just seems like my brain is being overflowed with the stuff and it can't take it.

I should probably note, though, that I've vomited a few times as a kid from having too much of one thing. Like 8 or so apples in a day. Like half a watermelon. Stuff like that. Not fun.

Yes i call it metal line math...
First look at an object, then look at your foot.
then with your imagination take the image of your foot and place it to the first object, then take your foot and flip it over and over again till you fliped it enuf time's to surpase the lenght. The point of this is to use your body to messure somthing without any tools.
say you ware a size 12 shoe, aka 1ft, if you fliped it 3time's the object is 3feet long.
I use a mental ruler that has more line's on the line, so i can messure an object by sight and create a gauge of how long it can and can't be. It took me a lot of hours on bored day's, but its a worth while skill to have.
Im working on metal hat. Which is a mental tool for finding the size of an object far away by creating the depth froma gaint size ruler in the back round, then the gaint ruler falls down to me while it stays at its first location making a triangle ... still haven't made a perfect gauge of what the size could or couldn't be, yet :)...the ruler change's size when i drop it.. takes metal training to prevent it form doing...havent spent the time to perfect.

So give it a try, its a great time passer, and you don't need a paper or a pen, just somthing to look at.

Last edited:
that first idea is so ingenious and practical, thanks a lot =) the second thing sounds tricky... maybe if you had a fixed marker, i.e. you look at a tower in the distance, right above it is the sun, if you move a few paces to the right and look again, you'll see that the tower is now some distance to the left of the sun... I think that the apparent distance the tower seemed to move is proportional to the change in angle (this is probably bs, I didn't do any calculations)... anyway if you have this angle and and distance you moved to the right, that is enough to calculate the distance to the object (this part's true)

SpitfireAce said:
Does anyone know of any good number games or thinking games (i.e. tic-tac-toe) to kill time when you're bored? Something that doesn't even require a pen and paper if possible...

We had a large family (9 people) when I was younger, so we'd play 'sevens' on long road trips. Each person counts in turn unless the number is a multiple of 7 or ends in 7, in which the case the player has to clap. We could play that for hours. At least until you reach the 7000's.

We played that around the camp fire at our family reunion last fall, as well. I was surprised the husbands, wives, and cousins were so inept at that game.

With nothing to do but talk, I usually enjoy the "What happened" type stories.

"Every weekday, a man gets in the elevator on the 20th floor, rides it to the ground floor, exits, and goes to work. At night, he comes home, gets in the elevator, but gets off at the 15th floor and walks up the remaining five floors to his apartment. Why?"

The idea is to have the other person ask yes/no questions to narrow the possibilities:

"Was the elevator in good working order"? Yes.
"Did the man make any stops on his way from the 15th to the 20th floor?" No.
"Did anyone else who used the elevator do this?" No.
"Was the man sane?" Yes.
etc.

DaveC426913 said:
With nothing to do but talk, I usually enjoy the "What happened" type stories.

"Every weekday, a man gets in the elevator on the 20th floor, rides it to the ground floor, exits, and goes to work. At night, he comes home, gets in the elevator, but gets off at the 15th floor and walks up the remaining five floors to his apartment. Why?"

The idea is to have the other person ask yes/no questions to narrow the possibilities:

"Was the elevator in good working order"? Yes.
"Did the man make any stops on his way from the 15th to the 20th floor?" No.
"Did anyone else who used the elevator do this?" No.
"Was the man sane?" Yes.
etc.

Answer below:

Because he was too short to reach the 20th floor button.

1. What are some fun brain games to play when I'm bored?

There are many fun brain games that you can play when you're bored. Some popular options include crossword puzzles, Sudoku, word searches, and memory games. You can also try online brain teasers or mobile apps specifically designed for brain training.

2. How do brain games help improve cognitive function?

Studies have shown that regularly playing brain games can improve cognitive function, including memory, attention, and problem-solving skills. This is because these games challenge the brain and help create new neural pathways, improving overall brain health.

3. Are there any specific brain games that are suitable for all ages?

Yes, there are many brain games that are suitable for all ages. Some popular examples include jigsaw puzzles, riddles, and logic games. These games can be adjusted to different difficulty levels, making them enjoyable for both children and adults.

4. Can playing brain games really make you smarter?

While brain games may not necessarily increase intelligence, they can help improve cognitive skills and enhance overall brain function. Regularly engaging in challenging mental activities can also lead to improved problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills.

5. Are there any potential downsides to playing brain games?

While brain games can have numerous benefits, it's important to note that they should not be relied on as the sole means of improving cognitive function. Additionally, some studies have found that excessive use of electronic brain games may have negative effects on mental health. It's important to balance brain games with other activities and seek professional advice if you have concerns.