1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spontaneous Reactions

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At 2600 K, ΔG° = 775 kJ for the vaporization of boron carbide:
    [itex]B_{4}C (s) ⇔ 4 B (g) + C (s)[/itex]

Find ΔG and determine if the process is spontaneous if the reaction vessel contains 4.00 mol of [itex]B_{4}C (s)[/itex], 0.400 mol of [itex]C (s)[/itex], and [itex] B (g)[/itex] at a partial pressure of 1.0 x 10^-5 atm. At this temperature, R T = 21.6 kJ

2. The attempt at a solution

I first tried to find the reaction quotient but quickly realized that they did not give me the volume for this vessel. Thus, I just plugged everything into the reaction quotient (products/reactants) and got Q = 1*10^-21.

Then I plugged that into the ΔG = -RT*ln(Q) equation:

ΔG = -RT*ln(Q)
    ΔG = -(21.6 J * 1000)*ln(1*10^-21)
    ΔG = 1.044*10^6 J = 1044 kJ

The answer on the back of the book says that ΔG is in fact -270 kJ; how is this the answer? What mistake did I do in my calculations?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please write the reaction quotient.

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    [itex]Q=\frac{(pB)^4*[C]}{[B_{4}C]}[/itex]

5. May 21, 2012 #4

Borek

What do you know about solids in this context?

6. May 21, 2012 #5
    Um all I can figure out is that the solids are within a closed vessel and that the temperature also appears to be 2600 K since 21.6kJ/8.314 = 2600. The only issue regarding the solid is that I don't know what the volume is, which is prohibiting me from finding the concentration mol/L.

The only other thing is that maybe I have the wrong idea of how concentration of a solid works?

7. May 21, 2012 #6

Borek

Activity of solids is assumed to be 1, so they are not present in the reaction quotient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook