Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spooky Noises

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    Few minutes ago I started a pot of coffee. The coffee maker makes deep sputtery noises. I walked into the other room for a second and suddenly heard what sounded like a kind of demon voice grumbling my first name. Got chills for a second till I realized it was a trick of the accoustics here: just an extra loud splutter from the coffee maker resonating in the room behind me.

Last year a similar thing gave me wicked goose bumps. It was a hot summer night and I had a box fan sitting in front of a door open to the outside. The fan was on high. Suddenly a new noise started on top of the fan noise and crescendoed. It sounded exactly like a male voice groaning and seemed to come from just outside the door. I was pinned to the spot with fright and stared out the door but there wasn't anyone there. When I calmed down I examined my first suspect: the fan. It turned out to be sitting off balance on a pebble, and must have been sent rocking back and forth on top of the pebble till it changed position and the noise stopped.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm jealous. My appliances never talk to me. I'm a little offended, actually.

However, I hear something like strange prattling conversation if I have the water faucet on full blast. It's usually in French, so I assume I am just studying too hard.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #3
    You can't just buy any old appliance and expect it to talk to you. Look for the Vocalization Probability Rating sticker. 10's are the most chatty. 0's are pretty much mute.

5. Mar 9, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just remembered that I do have one chatty appliance: my hairdryer. It also speaks mainly en Francais. I think that is the only appliance I filled out the warranty card for. Do you suppose that helped?

6. Mar 9, 2006 #5
    No, but it was a good idea anyway because it will be repaired or replace if it ever stops speaking French.

7. Mar 9, 2006 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Have you tried running the coffee pot backwards? It gives the spanish translation [hiss - sie]

8. Mar 9, 2006 #7
    No, I never thought of it! Great idea, though. I'll have to dig into the workings tomorrow and reroute the hose. Muchas gracias, senor!

9. Mar 9, 2006 #8
    I did the exact same thing just a few minutes ago... :surprised

coincidence?

10. Mar 9, 2006 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget to flip the coffee filter! :wink:

11. Mar 9, 2006 #10
    Depends. Did yours say: "Rrrrrrrraaaaachmmmmmaaaaannnninoooooofffffff!!!!!!"

12. Mar 9, 2006 #11
    Sheesh, I would have, too!!! Thanks for the heads up!

13. Mar 9, 2006 #12

Mk

Oohh I like how you said "it was a hot summer night," very... good. I don't know, some word.

I hate it when things like this happen. I don't like being scared. :grumpy: (well duh). Maybe I should just decide nothing has "been there," and nothing ever will.

14. Mar 9, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, this looks like a good thread to hijack with my little story that doesn't deserve an entire thread of its own. I just saw a big spot on the wall across the room...I figured it was a spider, so walked over to confirm it, and as I got closer, it was clear it wasn't a spider...not enough legs, but I wasn't close enough yet to make out just what it was. Just as I got close enough to start to focus and try to figure out what sort of bug it was, it flew at me...it was just a little moth, but scared the bejeezus out of me! :rofl:

But it still isn't talking to me.

And just to un-hijack the thread again...
    The coffee maker talks, but only in whispers. I can never quite make out what it's saying. I think it's talking about me to the tea kettle. I hear all this whispering, then I walk into the room, and the tea kettle takes up whistling very suspiciously.

15. Mar 9, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My TV talks to me.

I did know a guy who thought that the TV was passing along secret coded messages from the government, but I listened very closely, and I don't think it was the government.

16. Mar 9, 2006 #15
    I read a book by a couple who had gone long distance sailing in a yacht.

Once you're out there hundreds of miles from land, constantly in motion on many axis, the weather foul, cold, and overcast, waves getting unruly, sometimes breaking over the deck, always tired because one or the other of you always has to be at the tiller, the sound of the sea water sloshing out through the scuppers starts to sound like a complex phrase being repeated over and over, but not quite intelligible. They both noticed it and talked about how they listened to it, trying to make out what it said. Each had their own notion of what it might be and they actually argued a bit about it.

17. Mar 9, 2006 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When we moved into this house, my older daughter spawn would swear that she kept hearing a sound like a pig squealing coming from my master bathroom. She wouldn't go near it for years.

Of course when the sump pump in the basement would kick in, it sounded like a dinosaur in the throes of death.

18. Mar 9, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, this does creep me out sometimes. Since I need to do my thing when everyone else leaves, I often am given the keys to a factory, a remote data collection site, or a small business so that I can do programming or testing. But most of all I really hate being alone in large factories at night. The buildings are always popping and creeking, and it is usually fairly dark except in my area. Just being alone in such a large place is weird.

19. Mar 9, 2006 #18
    How old was she before she realized what you'd been up to in there?

20. Mar 9, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's like that at our farm too. The ventillation system makes all sorts of weird noises, and it often sounds like someone else is walking around the building when you're there alone at night. Apparently I'm the only one who is even willing to spend the night alone there (I have several times already)...everyone else brings along a friend to keep them company. They thought I was crazy when I was there all night on Halloween and brought along my laptop to watch horror movies on DVDs. But I couldn't think of a better setting to watch a horror movie. :biggrin: It's not nearly as bad here, though, as the last farm I worked on where I had to walk outside to get from the lab to the barns where my sheep were...it always seemed to be a cloudy, moonless night whenever I had to do that, and it really had the feeling of a horror movie scene where turning a corner around a building just might find you face-to-face with some axe murderer or zombie or some such thing. There were ALWAYS lots of noises there.

21. Mar 9, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek: :rofl: :blushing: :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?