Spoon Optics-Virtual Inverted image with a concave mirror

• Thread starter ilzmaster
  • Start date
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The question is , there are real objects around.Our eyes have a convex lens.So it forms a real inverted image on retina and our brain interprets by changing it to erect image.But when there is a real image around our brain interprets it as inverted but not erect,why that is so?Why the brain is doing opposite?Also there are cases of virtual object and virtual image in front of our eyes.How that you can explain?
Your eyes do exactly the same with all images you see (how could they do otherwise, in fact?). Light enters the eye from a 'virtual image' as if it had come from a real image in the location that you see it. Your eye can only judge what it sees on the basis of the rays entering it. You 'see' an image of yourself in a mirror and that's all your brain can interpret it as. It cannot possibly know about the path the light took, from your face, via the mirror.

As for the inverted image on the retina thing. We are born (and evolved) with the lenses in our eyes producing inverted images. That's what the brain is working with when it constructs the world in our brains that we are 'seeing'. I believe some experiments were done in which people were given inverting glasses to wear for days on end. After a very short time, they learned to 'see' things the right way up. There is a lot more to vision than a 'camera-like' image on a retina; that's only the start of the vision process.

Well okay but when wearing specs (diverging for myopic eye), The lens for real objects form a virtual image but then that virtual image acts as a virtual object for our eye convex lens and I know in most cases convex lens form real Image except when the object is very near then it forms enlarged virtual image.But how does one account for this case virtual object for the eye's convex lens?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well okay but when wearing specs (diverging for myopic eye), The lens for real objects form a virtual image but then that virtual image acts as a virtual object for our eye convex lens and I know in most cases convex lens form real Image except when the object is very near then it forms enlarged virtual image.But how does one account for this case virtual object for the eye's convex lens?

You seem to still be assigning more significance than is appropriate to the words "virtual" and 'Real'. The fact is that, when we manage to 'see' something, there is a (real) image, formed on our retina. The path of the light through whatever optical system that presents the image that we 'see' doesn't need to be described in terms of intermediate images on the way.
In the simple treatments of microscopes and telescopes, it is common to point out that there is a real image, formed between the objective and eyepiece lenses. In that case, it is useful to do so. However, in a telephoto camera lens, there may be five or six lenses, each of those lenses will bend the light a bit - some of the lenses have convex surfaces and some have concave surfaces. To calculate where the resulting image is formed, it would be totally futile to insist on discussing the real or virtual nature of the intermediate images.
If you find that simple classification system that you are using is letting you down then you need to go further into the subject, rather than throwing a wobbler about that simple rule. If you want confirmation of that, browse round some papers on advanced optics and see just how little (if at all) the terms real and virtual are used.

I think that advance optics stuff would require much time and now should look for other topics for a while as I am in my school level.Thanks .

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that advance optics stuff would require much time and now should look for other topics for a while as I am in my school level.Thanks .
Yes. That is sensible of you. So you just need to take my word for it and do remember that you will only need to know whether it's a real of virtual image in some very straightforward exam questions. The acid test is whether light rays actually pass through the image or just appear to come from it.
Good luck with your studies and keep asking the questions on PF. :)