Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spore is coming

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Spore is coming!!!!!

Oh YAY!!!! I've been waiting 3 years for more on this game.

Anyone interested in playing with the creature creator demo, or learning about the game if you aren't familiar with it can go here. I wonder how much it's changed since the 2005 video demonstration of it?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/spore/spore-developer-videos/1218608

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/spore/spore-launch-central/1217493

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2
    yeah looks great, I will be picking it up, hopefully endless play

4. Jun 18, 2008 #3

Evo

With my awesome game skills, I probably won't make it out of the water and onto land, but it will be fun trying.

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4
    ohhh ahhhh it looks like fun!

6. Jun 18, 2008 #5

Strilanc

Science Advisor

I'll be getting it as long as they don't put ridiculous amounts of copy protection on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(video_game)#Digital_rights_management
    (I'm referring to the 'check with the server every 10 days' ridiculousness)

It looks like it will be an amazing 5-in-1 game.

7. Jun 18, 2008 #6
    Damn, and I was hoping I would get rid of my video games addiction in the near future.

8. Jun 18, 2008 #7
    Amazing idea, funnily i never heard of this game and i'm a heavy gamer. Looking forward to see your creatures Evo.

9. Jun 18, 2008 #8
    Wow, I remember when that was first announced, back when I used to play a bunch of games. I had assumed by this time that it must have either been canceled or that it hit the market and didn't do well, since I hadn't heard much about it recently. But after all of this development time, it must be amazing!

10. Jun 18, 2008 #9
    I'm downloading the creature creator right now!

11. Jun 18, 2008 #10
    From what I can tell it has changed a bit over the years. The demo videos i've look more complex than it used to be and and graphics a richer. At least it's finally coming out and not yet another 'Duke Nukem Forever' victim.

12. Jun 18, 2008 #11

~christina~

Gold Member

I saw the title and I thought that it was about to be an invasion of tree spores :rolleyes:

13. Jun 18, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, there's a Mac version! Now I'm really interested. :biggrin: I think I need a creature creator too. Since Evo first talked about it, it has looked like the one game that might interest me in trying out games. It just looks fun (and like Evo, I'll probably spend a lot of time as primordial ooze trying to get out of the water).

14. Jun 18, 2008 #13
    I'm really anticipating the game. Apparently other people's creations will get downloaded onto your computer and have their own little worlds you can visit or conquer or destroy or whatever.

The down side to that? All of the penis monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spore+penis&search_type=&aq=f

I'm hoping there will be censoring of that stuff, though. The game looks fantastic otherwise. But should we be playing an Intelligent Design simulator? =/

15. Jun 18, 2008 #14

Evo

Hopefully they will put the kabosh on that, OY.

16. Jun 18, 2008 #15
    On a similar note, if you like first person shooter's, check out Nexuiz, its FREE on downloads.com, and its pretty good for a FREE game. Really easy to use multiplayer, and it runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac.

17. Jun 18, 2008 #16

Evo

Don't hijack the thread please.

18. Jun 18, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm getting the Mac version of the creature creator downloaded now. :biggrin:

Now, what's the problem with monster penises being sent to us? :uhh:

19. Jun 18, 2008 #18

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Guaranteed they will have a team of people checking the uploads before they become downloads.

20. Jun 18, 2008 #19
    The Youtube link I posted? It's just the results of a Youtube search for "spore penis". 417 results.

Yeah, but for how long? There's going to be so many people sending in their creations (most of which will likely be kids with goofy ones) that I don't think you'll be able to check them all.

21. Jun 19, 2008 #20
    I remember seeing this recently. It looks rather interesting though these sorts of games tend to bore me after a while. I'll probably check it out though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?