Sports, do you play one? I play tennis.

1. I figured since there was the musical instrument thread (I don't play one) and a search didn't turn up a thread on sports, I'd throw one out there.

Do you play (or even like) sports? What sport? Why? How did you get into it and how long have you played? Do you play competitively or recreationally?

I personally play tennis. I'm really not sure why I do--and I doubt there's any single reason--but I love it. Maybe it just runs in the family (my dad is an excellent player). It also comes with some nice little side benefits, like meeting all sorts of people and having an excuse to travel around the state.

I got into tennis because, in 8th grade, after about 5 years of sitting on my ass playing video games, I felt so lazy I was sick of myself. I wanted to go do something active, and since it was fun when my dad taught me a little bit about playing tennis about 7 years previous, I figured I'd play a bit. When I went down to the park, there was actually a tennis class occupying the courts and I was invited to play with them (for free!). Never stopped since (except when other responsibilities interfered).

I really regret that my dad couldn't keep teaching me to play when I was really little (divorce is fun). People always tell me I have bunches of talent, but I really started way too late to be able to compete. I've done a lot of catching up, but I'm still a level below them. I tried getting into competition anyway (figured I'd finish catching up in tournaments), but school and other things got in the way. Now I just play for the fun of it all and try to improve my game.

I think watching tennis is a lot of fun, too. There's a professional tournament going on in the area that I got to go to. The pros are absolutely amazing. If you thought it looked slow or something on TV, you really need to see a match in person. It's absolutely amazing.

Anyway, that's part of my story (I could go on...). Anybody else care to share?

cookiemonster

2. jcsd
  3. I run long distances.

Ive ran 5ks in cross country and currently running Track & Field in the 1 mile and 2 mile events. Current times (as of last week) were 6:23 and 13:52. My goal for the 1 mile is to get close to 5:40 and 12:40 for 2 mile. Im not particularly fast but im working on that. I ran when I was little (not very good at it then) every now and then but now I am training competitivly. In fact, ill be at a track meet tomorrow until nightfall.

I started competitive training last year and have slice a lot of time off of my record. I have gotten some criticism from the football players that my sport is for wimps (Ha! Id like to see them run >10 miles non-stop) but the rest of my team just ignores them and I do the same.

I run for many reasons, but mainly just to run. It relieves stress and keeps me in peak physical conditions despite my small body frame. My weakest area is sprinting, my strongest is endurance and stamina. Running up and down a hill in 90 degree weather for a solid hour is hard, but the results are worth it. Next year I plan on running a marathon just for recreation, not sure which one though, but I have seen an Antartica Marathon in 2005 .

I personally think that running is one of the hardest sports. It pushes the human body to its limits in all areas: cardiovascular, respiratory, and the major muscle systems.

I stick to the backroads when running, there is less traffic and less exhaust that inhibits oxygen intake.

4. I'm not a huge fan of running. I like to have little objectives so I feel like I'm accomplishing something all the time. But I guess that's all part of the sport, isn't it?

I think I can run about about a 6:30 mile, but I've never actually done it. Actually, the last time I ran a proper mile was at tennis tryouts sophomore year when everybody was supposed to run a sub-8-minute mile. I ran about a 6:45, and I'm in better shape now than I was then. Tennis players don't run at a sustained pace very often, but all the starting and stopping makes our legs strong, and we have to do it for 2 hours per match, so we have to be able to endure, too. Miles come pretty easily, but any more than that and I think I'd fall over and die. Some of our varsity players, to put it a bit more nicely, weren't built for running, so that little requirement was actually waived.

Football players are kind of funny. Personally, I'd be a bit more impressed if they didn't have all those pads...

Tennis is a lot more difficult sport than most people (including the football team and our wonderful trainers--they laughed at one of our players when he came in to get treated because he got hurt. They didn't think you could get injured during practice. However, they swarmed over a football player who stubbed his finger or something.) give it credit for. Unless somebody's dominating the match, then you're always going at full speed. There's no relaxing. It's run one way, stop on a dime, run the other way, all the while setting up and controlling the swing. Thankfully, there's plenty of resting between points.

I think running is, too. Our school has a very dedicated cross country team and they're out there running around the neighborhood all morning before school and all morning after school. I don't think I could do that. I have been known to run around hitting balls for 4 or 5 hours on end, though.

cookiemonster

5. Tsu

Tsu 638
    Gold Member

Would kite-flying be classified as a sport? I used to fly a string of 6 stunt kites. On calmer days I had to run my a$$ off to keep them in the air (or to keep the dogs from catching their tails them as I flew them along the ground )!

6. I'm not really athletic but I love playing Golf, Tae Kwon Do, Swimming, and basketball. I also go skiing a lot but it's really a lot of trouble with all the packing and setting up, then when you get to the mountain setting all the gear up and buying tickets.

On occasions I play large baseball games, some soccer and mountain biking when I use to live in Canada. The same goes with Roller hockey, which is less popular outside of Canada.

7. Evo

Staff: Mentor

I used to love playing raquetball, but haven't played in years. I live near a wilderness preserve now and I love going hiking there and I do walk faster than anyone I've ever met.

8. Surfing and running. Unfortunately there haven't been any decent waves here.

9. I jog, but I don't think that's considered as a sport. :smile:

10. On my home planet of Zoobonia I used to be the captain of the boulder tossing team. I could toss a 300 pound boulder 50 feet at one time. Or, I could toss a 50 pound boulder 300 feet. It was commutative that way.

11. I'm impressed motai I don't know how marathon runners do it, I have tried but I have never been a strong runner, well unless I'm chasing a soccer or being chased by bear or ferocious dog :smile:
    I have one for you Motai!!! When I was traveling/exploring in the Yukon (a Northern Territory in Canada) I drove to Skagway Alaska one afternoon (Northernmost State of the U.S.) and people kept asking me if I was their for the race, I had no idea what they were talking about but it turns out they were running a marathon AT NIGHT !!! from Skagway to Whitehorse (in the Yukon) that's 176.2km or 109.8 miles, in a seriously mountainous area, some did it in a relay, but many ran solo. I was extremly impressed. All the runners I met tried to convince me to join the race (Chhaaa right !!) So I enjoyed hanging out with the marathoners and had some fantastic fresh fish and chips and a beer and watched the runners go as I drove away on the highway, I was extremely impressed with those athletes. Don't worry I'm not suggesting you do this.

But have you ever thought about doing a adventurous marathon similar to that? Or do you like to stick to the road?
    Anyway good on ya!

12. I love DH riding, I haven't done much lately due to a dislocated shoulder, but I can't wait to get back to it.
    If adrenaline is reading this, we need to have a chat on how wicked riding is, and I want to know what sort of terrain you ride and what kind of bike etc. !

I also love backcountry skiing, there is nothing like a day spent with friends hiking (using skiis with skins) up a huge mountain and getting the breathtaking 360 view of mountain tops, it's such liberating experience, but oooh then comes the descent , up to your eyeballs in powder cruising down a crazy mountainside...that's where its at!!!!

I also am getting more into climbing and kayaking. I enjoy Kung Fu and play soccer on and off.
    The next sport I really want to learn is surfing!!!

Yup I do love my outdoors sports !!! Anyone else out there??

13. Unfortunatly down here in Florida there arent any mountains and I am not acclimated to the cold. Id probably have better luck at some hot African marathon. Im not quite to the level of supermarathons (I can only run so much before body breaks down), but im pretty sure that marathons would be fairly easy for me. I can already run around ten miles w/out getting tired, so id only need to train for a month or two in order to be fully prepared for a marathon.

Running at night? Ooh... lots of tripping, especially up in the mountains (fall off a cliff and die would be my fate). Somewhere along that mountain supermarathon im gonna get hungry and probably sleepy, 109.8 miles would take around 8-9 hours (?) to complete.

14. Janitor

Janitor 1,189
    Science Advisor

For me, football ("split end" as it was called in those days; they call it "wideout" these days) and basketball (forward). Only up to junior varsity level, though.

I tore something in my right knee playing football, and it will still pop out on me every couple of years, usually without warning.

15. Ok... i'm new to this forum... so i reply to whichever i like... even if it's old.... so here goes...
    i like squash... and tats wut i play most... improving slowing... hard to find a partner when u're a beginner.... wud love to learn tennis too... can swim a bit (not anything remotely special).... so tats it...

16. Sports? Heh, f*ck that!
    I play their electronic counterparts though, does that count?

17. Squash... That's like racketball, right?

cookiemonster

18. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i used to play a lot of raquetball, but lately yoga is more my style :)

19. adrenaline

adrenaline 274
    Science Advisor

Race cross country mountain bikes, some downhilling, Used to run mid distance races, used to play ice hockey (now the latter is an underappreciated sport involving stamina and incredibly finesse with skating skills...I wasn't good enough to play defensive, only offensive).

In terms of sheer brutal distance stamina involving alot of strategy nothing compares to the Tour de France in my opinion. Lance Armstrong states the tours outdo anything he ever did as a triathlete.

20. the hell's racquet ball?
    btw... no computer game counts as sport... i'm so sick of video games... i've totally stopped playing any computer or video game absolutely...

21. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

raquetball is two or more people confined to a room with high walls, and you hit a little blue rubber ball with a smaller raquet around (similar to tennis, but more intense)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?