Can You Spot a Fake Smile? Learn How to Detect Genuine and Faked Smiles

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
In summary, the test determines whether someone's smile is genuine or faked by looking at their eyes, head movement, and mouth movement.
Physics news on Phys.org
8 of 20, ouch! The ones I felt confident about I was completely wrong on!

I went through with their ideas about spotting fakes and I got 17 out of 20 :smile:

Last edited:
16/20 :smile: <----- was that fake or genuine.

I suppose I cheated anyway because I knew before the test what makes a genuine and a fake smile and thus knew what to look out for.

Wow, 18/20 ! Does that mean I'm some kind of talent? :biggrin:

10/20.. I was awful!

14/20 - I looked for head motion. The more they shook their head the more likely it seemed that they would be genuine.

17/20 - Yeah, whenever they shook their head it was real.

14/20 right here.

I lost track at the end and got 3 in a row wrong.

Fun test though.

I got 16 out of 20

17 out of 20. Sometimes it helped when you could pick up shoulder movement too.

10 out of 20

I guess I've got no people skills.

The only reason I figured it out was cause I looked at their body language more than their smiles.

scorpa said:
The only reason I figured it out was cause I looked at their body language more than their smiles.

Well, that is the key.

Jason - The quote in your sig is actually due to Alfred Rényi.

DeadWolfe said:
Jason - The quote in your sig is actually due to Alfred Rényi.

I got it from a site, so maybe Erdos quoted him.

LeonhardEuler said:
17/20 - Yeah, whenever they shook their head it was real.

I don't know how that possibly be accurate. People tend to move their heads when they're lying.

16/20. I was on the fence with 2 of them and I ended up guessing those wrong. You can tell if they are fake or not by the way they move their head. Back and forward=real smile. Lying/fake=other head movement.

If anybody read what was printed after the test you or watched a program on the bbc about 6 months ago then you will know that when people fake a smile they conciously only move their mouth muscles. When the smile is genuine the unconciously move their mouth muscles and many muscles around the eye changing the shape of the eye. The cheeks also move up.

I got 10 out of 20 also, but I think I was just catching onto looking at the eyes instead of the mouth. I got all of the last eight in a row.

How did the Asburgers amonst us do?

16/20 here.

14/20. I focused on how quickly their smile receded. It seems that a fake smile diminishes more abruptly whereas a genuine smile is a little more persistent.

eeh, I think a glued-on smile is just the fakest there is..:smile:

15/20 here!

ShawnD said:
I don't know how that possibly be accurate. People tend to move their heads when they're lying.
I think its because the actual smiles were caused by something that surprised them, so they moved their heads a little.

I got 18/20, the eyes were very telling, all the fake ones stared and didn't blink their eyes.

Lol I am glad that so many people are doing this. I actually expected a much more random response but I suppose that with the body language it is possible to consistently gauge a real vs faked smile.

Last edited:
13 out of 20. I thought the 5 of the genuine smiles were fake and that 2 of the fake ones were real.

I think an "ugliness" twist was inserted in the test:

Many of the most ugly peoples' smiles were actually genuine, while a lot of the beautiful peoples' smiles were fake.

Those who judge by "appearances only", will get a bad score on the test..

So with this test we can see who is superficial? :smile:

Monique said:
So with this test we can see who is superficial? :smile:

Or just bad at telling when someone is being fake!:rolleyes:

12/20 - tough!

17/20 It is in their eyes.

17/20. It's in the eyes. for a big part. Usually they get smaller even before the mouth moves.

1. How can I tell the difference between a genuine smile and a fake smile?

There are a few key differences between a genuine smile and a fake smile. A genuine smile involves the muscles around the mouth and eyes, while a fake smile only involves the mouth. A genuine smile also tends to last longer and is more symmetrical on both sides of the face. Additionally, a genuine smile is usually a response to a positive emotion, while a fake smile may be used to mask negative emotions.

2. Can anyone learn how to detect fake smiles?

Yes, anyone can learn how to detect fake smiles with practice and observation. It may be easier for some people than others, but with knowledge of the key differences between genuine and fake smiles, anyone can improve their ability to detect them.

3. Are there any scientific studies that support the ability to detect fake smiles?

Yes, there have been several scientific studies conducted on the ability to detect fake smiles. One study found that people are generally able to detect fake smiles at a rate better than chance, and another study found that certain facial expressions are more difficult to fake than others.

4. Can detecting fake smiles be useful in real-life situations?

Yes, being able to detect fake smiles can be useful in many real-life situations. For example, it can help in social interactions to determine if someone is being genuine or if they are hiding their true emotions. It can also be useful in job interviews or negotiations to gauge the sincerity of the other person.

5. Are there any techniques or tricks for detecting fake smiles?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help in detecting fake smiles. One is to look for the presence of crow's feet wrinkles around the eyes, as these are only present in genuine smiles. Another is to pay attention to the duration of the smile, as fake smiles tend to be shorter. Additionally, observing the context and body language of the person can also provide clues about the authenticity of their smile.