1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spray Coating for X-ray

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    Hello fellows,

i would like to ask if you might know any spray with metal elements which can be visible in X-rays.

I want to use it as coating in objects.

Does any common gold or plat spray be used?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the x-rays.
    Lead paint works for hospital x-ray machines.
    x-rays are often used to examine old paintings to see the different paint layers, so, in principle, any old paint will do.

4. Jun 5, 2014 #3
    thank you very much!can you suggest any link to find a spray suitable?

5. Jun 5, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you describe what it is that you are trying to accomplish?

So far your question is ambiguous.

6. Jun 5, 2014 #5
    i want to detect object which are not visible in x ray by using x ray. In order to do that i am searching for a cheap and fast solution to coat these objets , with something visible in x ray. I would like to ask if the gold and plat spray paints can be visible in x ray. Or if there is another spray paint (a cheap coating) suitable for accomplishing this!

7. Jun 5, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not enough detail to advise properly.

How hard are you expecting these x-rays to be, for example?
    Like airport x-ray scanners or the kind of thing a dentist may use?

How hidden is the painted object expected to be - i.e. is it in another x-ray transparent container, inside someone's body, underground... what?

Is the idea that someone with an x-ray machine will find the painted object easy to find or that the painted object should conceal its contents to an x-ray examination? Or is this preparation for a kind-of high tech treasure hunt or an art installation?

All this makes a difference.

8. Jun 5, 2014 #7

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or perhaps you are looking for a fluorescence signature?

I've used x-rays for a variety of purposes, and have seen more:
    imaging; fault detection; sorting scrap metal; generating electron cascades - I think the list is practically endless.

I've also used materials which are essentially transparent to x-rays in order to get x-rays generated inside of a vacuum chamber to the outside, where they could be conveniently measured. For this a low-z (low atomic number) material is required; we used beryllium windows.

So as Simon said, you will have to be much more specific.

9. Jun 5, 2014 #8
    I want a cheap coating method in order to coat a plastic object (i dont know what exactly, anything thin like a wire) and make it visible in an xray machine so that i can experiment with x ray techniques, like the one dentists use.

10. Jun 5, 2014 #9

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then any metal coating should work, but higher atomic numbers will require less thickness. You can test various thicknesses by becoming friends with your friendly local dentist.

11. Jun 5, 2014 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Even some of the heavier metal-oxide pigments of regular artists paint may even work. Iron-oxide and zinc paints are common enough - go to a store and ask.

Don't know why plastic and not just use a wire though.

12. Jun 16, 2014 #11
    Thank you very much!!! an aluminum spray did the work :)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook