1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spray dryers velocity

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    Hello everybody, I'm new here.

I'm working with spray driers and I need to know how does the velocity descent affect to the process.

Can you help me?

I need to know how the variables affect and the consequences.

Thank you very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

One needs to elaborate more on the process. For example, what fluid is being sprayed, and on to what is it sprayed.

In general, as the velocity of a fluid (e.g. water, air, gas, . . .) involved in forced convection increases, the heat transfer coefficient improves. Often the heat transfer coefficient is correlated with the Reynolds and Prandtl numbers, or the Nusselt number.

If it's a drying process, then humidity of a gas would be important.

If it involves a vortex separator, then the centrifugal force increases with velocity, and that would improve separation of liquid drops from a gas.

It's difficult to offer any information without more specifics, e.g. temperature, pressure, mass flow rate, phases, . . . .
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?