Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spread of christianity

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    I truly find it ironic that the initial spread of Christianity and well into the 1900 hundreds, was through violence, what's ironic about this is that Jesus of Nazareth advocated peace and brotherhood, but his word spread around the world due to violence, like the Spanish conquistadors, etc... Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2
    I want to emphasize that i am not undermining his teachings or Christians... this is just a question that has persisted in mind after one of my relatives told me about how one of his ancestors was shot by the British, after he refused to become a Christian...

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3
    I believe that the answer to your question is that it simply IS ironic. I don't believe in any religion for many reasons, yours being one of them.

Anton

5. Dec 14, 2004 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Buddhism, another religion preaching peace, was spread by violent conquest in Southeast Asia.

6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Most religions teach peace and most religions have at one time or another been spread via violence. Violence, historically, is simply the most effective way to spread any idea.

7. Dec 14, 2004 #6

kat

Actually, the initial spread of Christianity was non-violent, it was not until over 300 years later when Constantice co-opted the religion, making it a state religion and enforcing it..did it become violent.

8. Dec 14, 2004 #7

kat

I had never known that, do you have any good links for reference?

9. Dec 14, 2004 #8
    I may be wrong (history, especialy religious history is not my strong suit), but i don't think Judaism was ever forcibly spread. They don't try to convert anyone.

Extenuating religions aside, I think Kat had it right the problem occurred when a government embraced a religion. That gave a religious bias to the enforcement of their laws and to any wars they engaged in.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  10. Dec 16, 2004 #9

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Christianity (and probably just about every religion) has spread both peacefully and forcefully. The questions is: "To what extent?"

Would Israeli settlements (and the military protection thereof) count?

11. Dec 18, 2004 #10
    Hinduism wasnt spread forcibly.

12. Dec 18, 2004 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But look at Hindu violence at present in India; murder of Christians, destruction of mosques, and mob violence condoned by the recent national government. Religions are composed of people, and true believing people can always be violent.

13. Dec 18, 2004 #12
    What is your evidence for this. Hinduism was just a method to keep segregation in place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?