Spread of christianity

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
I truly find it ironic that the initial spread of Christianity and well into the 1900 hundreds, was through violence, what's ironic about this is that Jesus of Nazareth advocated peace and brotherhood, but his word spread around the world due to violence, like the Spanish conquistadors, etc... Why?

Answers and Replies

I want to emphasize that i am not undermining his teachings or Christians... this is just a question that has persisted in mind after one of my relatives told me about how one of his ancestors was shot by the British, after he refused to become a Christian...

I believe that the answer to your question is that it simply IS ironic. I don't believe in any religion for many reasons, yours being one of them.

Anton

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Buddhism, another religion preaching peace, was spread by violent conquest in Southeast Asia.

russ_watters
Mentor
Most religions teach peace and most religions have at one time or another been spread via violence. Violence, historically, is simply the most effective way to spread any idea.

kat
klusener said:
I truly find it ironic that the initial spread of Christianity and well into the 1900 hundreds, was through violence, what's ironic about this is that Jesus of Nazareth advocated peace and brotherhood, but his word spread around the world due to violence, like the Spanish conquistadors, etc... Why?
Actually, the initial spread of Christianity was non-violent, it was not until over 300 years later when Constantice co-opted the religion, making it a state religion and enforcing it..did it become violent.

kat
selfAdjoint said:
Buddhism, another religion preaching peace, was spread by violent conquest in Southeast Asia.
I had never known that, do you have any good links for reference?

I may be wrong (history, especialy religious history is not my strong suit), but i don't think Judaism was ever forcibly spread. They don't try to convert anyone.

Extenuating religions aside, I think Kat had it right the problem occurred when a government embraced a religion. That gave a religious bias to the enforcement of their laws and to any wars they engaged in.

Last edited:
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Christianity (and probably just about every religion) has spread both peacefully and forcefully. The questions is: "To what extent?"

Macgyver said:
I may be wrong (history, especialy religious history is not my strong suit), but i don't think Judaism was ever forcibly spread.
Would Israeli settlements (and the military protection thereof) count?

Hinduism wasnt spread forcibly.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
chound said:
But look at Hindu violence at present in India; murder of Christians, destruction of mosques, and mob violence condoned by the recent national government. Religions are composed of people, and true believing people can always be violent.

chound said:
What is your evidence for this. Hinduism was just a method to keep segregation in place.